Hofner HCT 500/1 Truss rod adjustment

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Pimpernel Smith, Mar 22, 2018.

1. Does anyone know what kind of tool is required to adjust a Hofner HCT 500/1 truss rod?

Thank you.

2. RSBBass

RSBBass

Jun 11, 2011
    NYC
    A picture of the adjustment nut would help.

3. fermata

fermata

Nov 10, 2015
    It's just a metric allen wrench/hex key. I can't remember the exact size.

4. Fermata:

A key. I was thinking of the nuts like on the German Hofners. No wonder I couldn't get a socket to fit. I'll get my set of metric keys and poke around.
    I'll let you know when I get it right.

fermata likes this.
  5. Fermata:
    That's a deep location. I couldn't get my standard metric Allen keys to reach down there. So, I used my longer English measurement ones. I poked around with a 5/32 inch size, and it fit almost perfectly because it's 3.968 mm - or almost 4mm exactly. And that did the trick. I now have some relief on my Hofner's neck.
    Thanks for your guidance.

fermata likes this.
  6. fermata

fermata

Nov 10, 2015
    4 mm rings a bell. Yeah, it's pretty recessed. Luckily, my CT has been remarkably stable (I rarely even need to tune it!), so I haven't had to poke around in there very much.

7. Very true about the stability of the HCT 500/1. It's just that mine had no relief in the neck when I bought it, and I wanted to add some. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

fermata likes this.
  8. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    South Bend, Indiana
    Do yourself a favor, and get a 4mm hex key - maybe a T-handled one - that will reach the nut. Yeah, 5/32" is almost 4mm, but that "almost" has ruined an awful lot of 4mm truss rod nuts...:thumbsup:

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
  9. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Agreed, a 4mm hex key only costs about 50 cents around here.

10. Lee Kirkham

Lee Kirkham

Jan 14, 2013
    Mesa, AZ
    I know the Icon/Ignition uses a 4mm. I would imagine the CT doesn't stray too far from that, if at all.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021