1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hofner Icon B Owners

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rasrick, Jun 18, 2007.

1. Hey, how do I set the intonation on this thing?

2. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    I set the intonation on my Hofner by...oh wait, you specified Icon owners, I own a regular old Hofner 500/1 Beatle Bass. Sorry.

3. plexibass

plexibass

Jun 30, 2005
    GO TO northcoastmusic.com and contact them. they can probably tell you. and it is a really cool website also.

4. I had an old hofner in 69. wish I still did. I don't even know what happened to it. Lost in the purple haze I guess. I got the Icon cuz that's all I could afford right now and it sure is easier on my shoulder.

5. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    OK seriously. I intonate the G string(by moving the entire bridge), then intonate the E string trying not to move the G string side. Then check the G string again. You can only really adjust the outside strings, if you get them right the middle two will be good too. At least that's my experience. You can move the fretwire bridge pieces but I've never had to.
    Also a heads-up, when buying replacement strings be sure you get strings that are long enuff for the silk winding to clear the nut. Some short-scale strings are made for Fender-type bridges and are not long enuff because of the added length to the tailpiece.

6. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I found that Labella's Hofner custom flats are set up exactly for that situation. They're for short scale basses, but slightly longer than a conventional short scale string.

7. Thanks for that info. Means I will have to buy another set of flats. I have an extra set of Fender 66's that I use on my Allen Woody. What would you recommend for the Hofner. if I'm going to pick up a set I might as well get it right the first time.

8. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    I have always used Pyramid short-scale flats, they're what come on new Hofners(at least the German ones, don't know about the Icon). And if you buy "Hofner" brand strings they are Pyramids in Hofner packaging. Pyramids are made in Germany. They're not cheap($50 or more. You gotta shop.) but they hold their tone for a very long time, so it evens out in the end. Very low tension too.

9. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Intonation is tricky on these basses but I have heard some great feedback on the pyramind golds with hofners.

10. What else is going to fit this hofner I checked the fender flats I have and they don't fit. I've been looking but, wow!!, there must be a good alternative that doesn't cost 70 bucks. The strings it came with are just plain kindergarten. The pup's seem real hot though.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I tried Roto flats on my Turser Beatle bass. They weren't my cup of tea but they do work and they're fairly reasonable. But I ended up putting rounds on mine because it makes them a lot more versatile.

BTW, intonation is an illusion on those basses. Just set the E and G as best you can, then tune the E and A string slightly flat, and it'll play in tune everywhere on the neck.

BTW, you should use medium scale, not long scale, strings. The space between the tailpiece and the bridge makes short scale strings too short.

12. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    I use TI flats in a Rogue copy and they sound fantastic, and the intonation is pretty darn good.

As mentioned, start with the E string, then slightly slant the bridge towards the neck a couple of degrees, and check. Adjust the angle to find the right spot were most of the strings are intonated.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021