1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hofner Icon Club bass!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rob Martinez, Nov 21, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Rob Martinez

Rob Martinez

Sep 14, 2005
    Just saw some of these for sale on ebay! Looks like Hofner is finally putting these out. I want!

2. Alex E

Alex E

Mar 2, 2006
    Hey Rob,

You already have enough basses! No more for you.

Ah, an Icon Club would be nice, wouldn't it?

3. Rob Martinez

Rob Martinez

Sep 14, 2005
    Dammit! You said it! I am already looking around at what I can sell to get one of these! Ha ha!

4. tkcthulu

tkcthulu

Nov 15, 2010
    Calgary, AB
    I've had no problems with mine so far :)

5. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    The Contemporary series has the German PUs, same as on the real Club Bass.

I have had one of these for about a year. I have the clasic Sunburst, however I am thinking of adding the Cherry Red.Just for show.

Tell you what, it's the best looking bass on the market.

This semi hollow and the Eastwood Clasic 4 are great for guys that want that 60s vibe on stage.

6. Rob Martinez

Rob Martinez

Sep 14, 2005
    You have an Icon Club bass? In really want one, I assume they are the same as the violin version, with the Club design. I love these basses!

7. Rob Martinez

Rob Martinez

Sep 14, 2005
    Agreed. I have a Eastwood Club bass, but that Cherry burst Icon is very cool!

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    i like the black. dammit hofner! why now of all times???

9. odysseios

odysseios

Jan 18, 2007
    Sardinia, Italy
    I like the black too. But i have no more space at home.

10. Gort

Gort Banned

Nov 3, 2010
    Area 51
    The 500/1 Contemporary also has the German pickups but due to the construction differences (center block on the CT), my Icon/Ignition '500/1' sounds much more like the German 500/1s I've tried.

That makes me wonder if the same is true of the Icon Club vs the CT club?

I also have the Eastwood Club and it sounds nothing like my Hofner Ignition.

11. Rob Martinez

Rob Martinez

Sep 14, 2005
    Me too. I like my Eastwood, but if the Icon Club is just like the Icon violin bass, I want one!

12. banditcosmo

banditcosmo Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2002
    Charlottesville, Va.
    I'm really thinking of buying one of these and did not even know about them till I just saw them on E-Bay.
    Are there really only going to be 40 for sale ?
    Do the club basses get a nice deep tone ? I played a Kay reissue the other day and really loved deep tone but it's close to around $800 which is out of my price range. I've never played a club bass but really like the looks of them and love that hollowbody sound.

13. Who said they're only making 40?

14. banditcosmo

banditcosmo Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2002
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Maybe it's only 40 in the red and black trans finishes ? This is from one the E-Bay auctions:

15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    they sound pretty much like the beatle basses, which have an enormous low end.

16. IxnayE2000

IxnayE2000

Jun 20, 2010
    I'm glad they finally came out with these. Now I can sample a club bass without breaking the bank.

Could somebody here with the knowledge and experience expound briefly on the differences between the violin and the club? Is it just pretty much a looks + place to rest your arm/vs no place to rest your arm? Or is there some other difference that can't be guessed at from looking at the specs and pictures?
    I've been curious for some time and there are no club basses in stores that I can find to try out.

Maybe I'll just have to buy one :).

17. Rob Martinez

Rob Martinez

Sep 14, 2005
    I got my Hofner Icon Club bass today with the trans black cherry finish. It is a beautiful bass. Weighs 5 lbs!! I put LaBella Beatles light gauge flatwounds on it, sound is DEEP and LOW like a hollowbody should be. VERY similar to the Icon violin bass, but with a slightly fatter tone, maybe because the body is a bit bigger than the violin bass. The tail piece is almost 2 inches shorter than the violin bass, so the overall feel of the Club bass is "shorter" than the violin bass. Not sure if this is the case with German made versions. The body is 2 and 1/8 inches deep. The neck is narrow and fast like the violin version. At $370, it is well worth the price to me, since I will never have the $ for a German made version. I will gig it this weekend!!

18. Want so much...

Anyone know if these are being sold new? Not at MF/Samash/GC/M123...

19. Gort

Gort Banned

Nov 3, 2010
    Area 51
    My Black Icon Club is on it's way to me.

20. Rob Martinez

Rob Martinez

Sep 14, 2005
    Mine is brand new, got it on ebay.