Hofner Icon in church - EQ is your friend!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by stratovani, Feb 17, 2010.

1. Tonight I played my newest addition to the fleet, my Hofner Icon, at Ash Wednesday services at our local Catholic Church. My other bass is a P-Bass, so I loved the light weight and short scale. But since I wasn't used to it yet, I set up my two pedals and plugged in and began playing for our pre-Mass rehearsal. Man, that Hofner was so friggin' boomy I couldn't believe it! But adjusting the EQ (Boss GEB-7) did the trick. I boosted the mids and highs just a little bit, cut back on the lows just a tad and the boominess went away. After Mass I got a lot of compliments on my sound. So the Hofner will now be my new "go-to" bass!:D

2. newbassdude

newbassdude

Apr 7, 2009
    I just used by Hofner Icon during an Ash Wednesday mass too!

only, while going up to communion, i tripped over some cords and my guitar came smashing down and began to emit a loud buzzing noise.. :bag:

but other than that, i had a few compliments on it as well

3. OUCH! Hope everything's OK.:eek:

4. Mr. Mig

Mr. Mig

Sep 7, 2008
    I am glad to see that others are finding out what so many don't seem to realize. What is that? That Hofners have a good boom to them.
    Did you two have the solo switch activated?

5. Did I have the solo switch activated? I can't remember now. I think I did. :confused:

6. ransombass

ransombass

Dec 16, 2008
    Tulsa, Ok
    I've used my flat wound strung p-bass at mass before with good results and I think a Hofner would fit nicely. Maybe I can convince my wife of the necessity of a new "fish" during Lent.:D

7. Tahoe_Ed

Tahoe_Ed

Apr 9, 2009
    Lake Tahoe
    The solo switch makes the signal hotter than it normally is. I never use mine and I am very happy with the sound. The low E is ab fab.

8. Mr. Mig

Mr. Mig

Sep 7, 2008
    That solo switch can rattle the walls.

9. newbassdude

newbassdude

Apr 7, 2009
    Yeah i solo switch & use flatwounds

i love my hofner, but i have to be careful now because (it was like this before i tripped over it but its worse now) if it accidently bump my hofner on something it'll start buzzing loudly

im looking to upgrade to a CT soon anyway :hyper: