1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hofner Icon Neck Question.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mike M., Jul 7, 2014.

1. Mike M.

Mike M.

Feb 14, 2010
    I went to my local music store today to buy some cables. While there I checked out some basses (as always), one of which was a new Hofner Icon. Now, I've tried many Hofners...lots of Icons in the past and have never been able to play them because of the neck. Always felt way too small and skinny to me especially from about the 10th fret on up.

But the neck on the Icon I tried today felt a bit beefier all around. Felt like it had more girth to it. While it still felt small it didn't feel as small compared to all the Icons I've tried in the past. Actually (and to my surprise) I found it to be rather comfortable.

Has Hofner beefed up the necks on the newer Icons? Don't know much about where they're all made, but this one came from China.

2. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    I thought the Icons were discontinued in favor of the Ignitions. On the Hofner website, they list the Ignition models, but the violin bass they show on the Ignition page says "Icon" on the headstock. o_O

3. Mike M.

Mike M.

Feb 14, 2010
    Hmmm. Well, whichever "Hofner" it was I noticed the neck difference right away. Guess I should have paid more attention to what was marked on the truss rod cover. But I didn't!

Thanks.