Hofner Icon Pickups

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Thudman, Oct 16, 2011.

1. Hi everyone. This may have been covered before, but I was kicking around the idea of picking up a Hofner Icon and I had a question about the pickups. Does anyone know if they the stock Icon pickups single coils or humbuckers? I think the Epiphone version and the Hofner 500/1 CT may claim to have humbuckers. . . .

2. Alex E

Alex E

Mar 2, 2006
    I don't know specifically, because my Icon came with no Hofner literature and I haven't researched the pups, as I am very pleased with their volume output, which is a loudness comparable to MIA Jazz basses and 4003 Rickenbackers.

Also, they are extremely quiet pups, as I have not experienced the slightest bit of 60 cycle hum. My guess is they are humbuckers.

Hope that helps.

3. Thanks for the reply! Yeah, if I buy one and I like the pickups, I may just leave well enough alone.

4. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    i love the pickups on my hofner icon - i actually prefer them to the german version.

5. odysseios

odysseios

Jan 18, 2007
    Sardinia, Italy
    For the aesthetics or for the sound?

6. For both the sound quality and for quietness. With other import brands I've tried in this price range, the pickup sound quality/noise is kind of hit-and-miss. After poking around on the internet, it seems like many Icon owners like the stock pickups though. Aesthetically, it looks pretty good right off of the wall, especially considering the price.

7. I've got an Icon, and I've dressed it up a bit, but I left the pickups alone. They sound great as it is!

8. I have an early Icon and the pickups are thunderous!

9. odysseios

odysseios

Jan 18, 2007
    Sardinia, Italy
    They are humbuckers too.

10. Rob Martinez

Rob Martinez

Sep 14, 2005
    I play Hofner Icon basses and am fine with the pick ups. Sound great!

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021