1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hofner Icon Strings

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jazzercountry, May 3, 2010.

1. jazzercountry

jazzercountry Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2000
    Las Vegas, NV
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    Hi everyone,

I searched, but it was pretty inconclusive. I just bought a Hofner Icon, and I'm shopping for which flats to use on it. I'm a flatwound guy, so I get that they take a while to break in and all of that. That's most of what makes some of these posts useless - it's the opinion of someone who doesn't even like the way a flatwound sounds or feels to begin with. From what I gather, my options are Pyramid - (expensive, QC issues)
    LaBella - (overly bright)
    Rotosound - (not sure, but I think I read they were bright)
    TI - my favorite so far, but someone said that they won't work on an Icon.

So the real question is, has anyone put the TI Hofner flats on an Icon Beatle Bass??

2. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    YEA, BUT IT DIDN'T HELP,

3. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Bump. I`m curious about this too.

4. Mr. Mig

Mr. Mig

Sep 7, 2008
    I like the LaBella's myself.

5. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

Depends on what tone you're going for. I was looking for the McCartney sound so I put Tapewounds on my Icon. Did the trick.

6. mellowgerman

mellowgerman Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    I had a fretless Douglass violin bass. I put an already broken in set of Fender flats on it. Beautiful. Nice and thumpy.
    The trick is though, you have to strip some of the outer layer of wrapping off the end of the string to make it fit (they only come in long scale). I play only short scale basses and have been doing this to Fender flats for years because they are my favorite kind (i've tried every brand out there). I can assure you this doesn't effect the stability or functionality of the string in any way.
    Try it out! If you get them from sweetwater.com (as I usually do) they're only like $22 with free shipping. Well worth it.

7. jazzercountry

jazzercountry Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2000
    Las Vegas, NV
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    Tonewise, I'm into the vintage thump, for sure. Can the LaBellas do that? Everything I've read has said that they were pretty bright.

8. darkhorse9

darkhorse9

Mar 28, 2010
    +1 on the LaBella flatwounds. Don't worry about them being too bright, a lot of that is handled by the amp and settings. A couple of adjustments there and I was thumping away like Sir Paul.

The one thing I've found on my Hofner Icon is that it's not very flexible. It is a one-trick pony. But if you're replicating McCartney you can't go wrong with the Icon and LaBella flatwounds.

9. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    I make a living playing a (German)Hofner(and a Ric) and I use the LaBella "Beatle Bass" set, the heavier of the two.
    Whatever set you get make sure they're both long enuff and short enuff to fit a violin bass, know what I mean?

10. +1

I just put the LaBella "Beatle Bass" set on an Icon, and I was floored. Very good sounding strings if you're looking for "that" tone.

11. TMBTC

TMBTC

Oct 18, 2009
    Milton,Fl
    I have LaBella's on mine.... they sound great. But I do want to try a set of tape wounds next time I change them out.

12. odysseios

odysseios

Jan 18, 2007
    Sardinia, Italy
    Hofner flats 40-100 on my Ignition.
    And for the "one trick pony", listen to these no-beatles hoffies:

reggae

13. mccartneyman

mccartneyman

Dec 22, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Managing Editor, Bass Guitars Editor, MusicGearReview.com
    LaBella's on my Icon after trying and not liking Pyramids. The set of Pyramids I bought had a bad G. I put on an older long scale TI Flat and it sounded great -- better than the Pyramids. But it now has LaBellas. I've recorded direct and it sounds very McCartneyesque.

14. Labella Hofner flats. Period, end of search.

15. darkhorse9

darkhorse9

Mar 28, 2010

With all due respect...none of those are Hofner Icons. Certainly in the right hands a skilled performer can make a 500/1 do just about anything, but my comment was about the Icon. If you want to get technical even the bass player on Glee uses a Hofner ***realizes what I just admitted to ***

The Icon serves one purpose and one purpose only...a cheap way to sound like Paul McCartney. Don't get me wrong. That's exactly why I have one, but that's about its limit. With that in mind, the LaBella flatwounds are the best route.

- Now...if Rickenbacker would only make a $400 version of the 4001 I'll be all set!

16. odysseios

odysseios

Jan 18, 2007
    Sardinia, Italy
    So you think a german Hofner isn't a one way bass... well, then the Hofner Icon/Ignition also doesn't, because it is the bass with the sound closer to a german Hofner, although the bad quality craftmanship.
    And in facts... here is a couple of songs played by me with an Ignition (= 2009 Icon) in a U2 cover band; the bass is pumped into a Fender Bassman 250/115 amp. Not certainly a beatle sound, as you can judge:

Obviously, if plugged to a crappy amp, the Icon will sounds in one only way: crappy. As you listen, this is not my case. :)

17. BillyC

BillyC

Jun 11, 2007
    I tried TI flats but there wasn't enough tension to bring out the sound,so I put LaBella Beatle bass flats on and now It sounds right.