1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hofner Icon vs Epi Viola

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Orpheus55, Mar 21, 2009.

1. I used to have the Epiphone Viola and was very happy with it build and sound-wise; my son took it with him to college and I was considering replacing it with the Icon. I had occasion to play the Icon in a local music store, and it felt strangely toy-like compared to my memories of the Viola (mine went for $469 some six years ago). I've seen a lot of conflcting opinions re: the Icon, the CT, Turser, etc. and wonder if anyone uses the current Epi Viola? I suppose having Hofner on the headstock means a lot, but I don't really care about that. Thanks!

2. agplate

agplate

Jan 12, 2005
    Arizona
    I haven't owned a Epi viola, but have played them in stores many times. In my own opinion, it was a very solid and serious bass. As you might recall, the neck is really nice. It has a more modern sound and with rounds, can actually slap and pop a little!

And I agree that the ICON, which I own and like alot, does feel more delicate and fragile than the Epiphone. For me personally, I'm into the Hofner mystique, but if you don't have a preference for that, I give the Epi a thumbs up.