1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hofner Icon vs Rogue violin bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by stingray2112, Mar 13, 2008.

1. So I made another topic a couple of days ago on just a Hofner Icon bass, but I thought I'd get everyones opinions on these two violin basses.Which one do you like better?

Be Blessed,
    Steve

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I liked the Epiphone, which felt much more solid... i.e. heavier.

I loved the Hofner, which felt and sounded closer to the real deal, IMO.

I almost miss my Hofner Icon.

3. Loudthud

Loudthud

Dec 25, 2007
    Dallas Texas
    I've had a Rogue VB100 for about 3 years. It really had the tone I was looking for. I got another one as a backup and an Epiphone version. I picked up a Hofner Club bass, fancy version black with gold hardware, but couldn't get the tone I was looking for out of it. Didn't like the control setup on the Rogue so I replaced one of the volume controls with a pan pot and wired the other as a master volume. Two of the switches shunt caps across the pickups for a little darker tone (never use them) and one ads a bright cap across the volume pot (use it all the time with volume on 7). The Hofner is extremely light, the Rogue is almost balanced by comparison. The pickups on the Rogue are not hum bucking when soloed but cancel hum when both are on. I leave the pan pot slightly off center where hum cancels the best. It was a pain to find a hard case for the Rogue but a guy showed up on ebay that had some. A Hofner Beatle case did not fit the Rogue. The Pickguard on the Rogue was a POS so I tossed it.