1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hofner Icon??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Noseferatu, Mar 13, 2010.

1. Noseferatu

Noseferatu

Feb 12, 2010
    Hermitage, PA
  2. Have you tried doing a search first?

3. TMBTC

TMBTC

Oct 18, 2009
    Milton,Fl
    The Icon is the Ignition (Hi-Series)..... I have one and love it. IMO the Icon sounds more like an original Hofner than the Cont.

4. jblock

jblock

Mar 20, 2004
    CT
    Yes, the Contemporary is worth the extra cash. German pickups and all around better build quality.

5. Mr. Mig

Mr. Mig

Sep 7, 2008
    I myself thought that the Icon was to light and I really didn't like the sound. Thought it was to tinny for me. I have 2 Contemporary Basses and love them both. The sound block gives it a little more weight. I think the sound on a contemporary is much fuller. The body, like the Icon, is Asian made, but the electronics are German. Some of the deatils on the Contemporary are closer to an authentic 500/1. But as stated above you should do the research yourself and see what you think. You may end up wanting the the contemporary more, or you may like the the Icon as many people do.

6. Noseferatu

Noseferatu

Feb 12, 2010
    Hermitage, PA
    No, actually, I didnt, because I wanted a direct answer.

Problem??

:rolleyes:

7. TobyBass55

TobyBass55

Dec 7, 2009
    MI
  8. Rob Martinez

Rob Martinez

Sep 14, 2005
    Depends on what you want. The Icon will sound closer to the vintage Hofner basses since it is a true hollowbody just like the original German made basses. The Contemporary has a wood block down the center, which means it will sound different. Good, but different.

I have the Icon bass and am VERY happy with it for my 50s band. No desire or need to replace it with a Contemporary.

Whatever you get, put flats on it ASAP!:D

9. Noseferatu

Noseferatu

Feb 12, 2010
    Hermitage, PA
    Thanks! Can you still play the Contemporary acoustically even with the block?

10. TobyBass55

TobyBass55

Dec 7, 2009
    MI
    No. The Icon really only makes a little sound acoutically (but enough sound for me to hear just to practice). The Contemporary, makes much less sound acoustically.

11. Noseferatu

Noseferatu

Feb 12, 2010
    Hermitage, PA
    Can you use the leather strap on the Icon or no??

12. thedrones

thedrones

Nov 19, 2009
    los angeles
    GET THE CONTEMPORARY! seriously, if you do a side by side comparison, the contemporary just feels much more like a solid and well built instrument than the icon does. The contemporary is a great bass, its the only bass I own, and it works for me with everything from jazz to hard rock, if you can afford to spend the money, I really suggest you do so.

13. odysseios

odysseios

Jan 18, 2007
    Sardinia, Italy
    The classical McCartney "doglead strap" don't works on the Icon: it hasn't the space under the fretboard.

14. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Harrisburg, PA, USA
    The Icon and the CT are made in the exact same factory side by side. The quality should be pretty much the same on both. They both use the same tuners, pegs and control panel from what I can tell. The difference is that the icon is hollow with Chinese pickups and the CT has a sound block and German pickups.

So while the CT looks more authentic and has nice pickups IMO the icon can cop the Hofner tone equally as well even with the Chinese pickups.

It would be nice if they would give you a hollow version with German pickups.

15. odysseios

odysseios

Jan 18, 2007
    Sardinia, Italy
    This would be a marketing boomerang for the german Hofners...

16. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Harrisburg, PA, USA
    I am not sure what you mean BUT if this means that they would shoot themselves in the foot and cannibalize their German sales then you may be right.

There was a Hofner forum on another board years ago. (It might have been the dudepit but I forget) and around the time that they were prototyping the budget line someone had said that an early prototype was close enough to the real thing that Hofner veto'd it.

17. Rob Martinez

Rob Martinez

Sep 14, 2005
    Essentially, the Contemporary is a modern bass that looks like a violin bass.

The Icon is a hollowbody, just like the German one McCartney plays. The Contemporary will sound DIFFERENT than an Icon or a German made Hofner. Not better or worse, just a more modern tone with more sustain and definition.

Make sure you get what you want. If you want something with a more modern tone, get the Contemporary.

If you want to nail the early 60s tone, the Icon wins hands down.

18. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    The only thing "Hofner" about the Icon model is the name on the headstock. There must be a dozen threads where I have written about what a poor quality this bass.

G

19. Rob Martinez

Rob Martinez

Sep 14, 2005
    And you are wrong. It is a Hofner bass, the Hofner company has them made in Asia. Cheaper? Yes. For the money, a great quality bass. As far as getting a bass that closely replicates the German made hollowbody basses, the Contemporary is, in fact, less of a Hofner than the Icon is.

If the Icon is not a true Hofner, then certainly neither is the Contemporary, which is made in the same place as the Icon.

20. I've had a chance to play a number of violin basses lately. The Epiphone Viola, in my opinion, is a btter feeling and sounding bass than the Icon. The CT feels more substantial and has a higher output than the previous two. It also has better sustain, perhaps because of the inner block. I personally prefer the more modern sound, as our band is all over the place musically, and will likely buy the CT this summer.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 30, 2020