Hofner Ignition set up

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Pimpernel Smith, Jul 13, 2020.

1. I've played Hofner basses for over 50 year. Recently I bought a Hofner Ignition and have spent the past few weeks trying to get the intonation as best as I can. I'm familiar with the bridge placement and adjustments, and somewhat with neck relief. I'm having a hard time with this bass.

I put a set of LaBella Hofner flats light gauge on it. The A string in particular is a mystery to me. I have to tune it just a bit sharp in order to have the C at the third and the D at the 5th frets play in tune. Why?

Does anyone know a good technique for setting the neck relief on these 30 inch scales?
    I can't seem to get the get the high B note on the G string to play clearly without very high action. Presently, I have the action set to the usual recommended 3 mm for the E string and a bit over 2 mm on the G string as measured at the 12th fret.

The D string, when played at B produces some sort of strange sound. I filed down a bit of the bridge, on the tailpiece side, to keep the string from vibrating against the bridge. This helped, but it's still not perfect.

Any recommendations?

Thank you.

2. RSBBass

RSBBass

Jun 11, 2011
    NYC
    It sounds like you could use more neck relief. Measure it and check back.

3. Well, after some thought, and playing around with foam in an attempt to rid the instrument of strange sympathetic sounds I did the obvious. I removed the LaBella flats and put on a 2 year old set of Pyramid Gold flats. So much better in every regard. How could I have thought I should use anything but Pyramid flats? Stupidity.

RSBBass:
    Is there any recommended gap for neck relief? Is the standard technique to fret at the second and the 15th, and to measures in the middle?

Matt Liebenau likes this.
  4. RSBBass

RSBBass

Jun 11, 2011
    NYC
    I don't know the recommended method or measure for a short scale. Maybe check with Higher.

5. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician
    Generally a shorter scale requires a bit more relief. The reason is that for the same gauge of string, at a shorter length there will be less tension at the same pitch. If you use a larger gauge string to get the tension up, it will have greater mass. In both cases the string will vibrate in a larger arc on the short scale, thus requiring more relief.

Start with 10 to 15 thousandths of an inch and adjust from there.

RSBBass and Gilmourisgod like this.
  6. Turnaround:
    Thank you for your advice. I just put an index card between my machinist's calipers and it measured 7 thou. Bending it over gives me 14 thou. Close enough for jazz. I'll use that as my gauge.
    Capo on the 1st fret and depress at 15th sound like a good technique?

Root 5 likes this.
  7. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician
    I'd capo the first, depress the 16th and measure at the 7th. That should be good.

Pimpernel Smith likes this.
  8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021