1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hofner Ignition Truss Rod question

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Biszkhopt, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Biszkhopt

Biszkhopt

Aug 16, 2011
    Hi!

I wanted to lower action on my hofner ignition/icon, and upon lowering it I've got fret buzz above 12th fret, checked up my neck and it's bowed bit too much (so much that you can see it looking at a side), so naturally I have to straighten it a bit.

And now here is my somewhat silly question:

Most basses to do so, you have to turn truss rod clockwise, BUT this being hofner (Indonesian hofner made hofner copy to be exact, but nonetheless) I've search about info specifically on hofners, and I haven't found any official "instruction" so to speak, but only this site http://www.ehow.com/how_5768568_set-up-hofner-bass.html And here it says just the opposite: counter-clockwise.

So silly as it may be, before fiddling with it I have to be sure. Any Ignition/icon owners here able to cast away my doubts?

2. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

The Asians long ago either adopted or invented (not sure who invented threads) the clockwise rotation as the standard direction in which to take up (tighten) threads. Hope that helps.

3. ajpaul59

ajpaul59

Apr 22, 2011
    South Jersey
  4. Pimpernel Smith

Pimpernel Smith Supporting Member

May 25, 2012
    In the Pond
    On my Ignition, Indonesian made, it turns and tightens in a standard manner. On this model, you insert a 4 mm allen hex into the fitting.

5. Biszkhopt

Biszkhopt

Aug 16, 2011
    Sure. Still, some basses have it reverse way...

Thanks, guess it's most likely to be that, just this damn site made me suspicious. Anyhow, thanks for clearing my mind about it.

6. Britman

Britman

May 10, 2018
    O.K. I have a Hofner President that I bought brand new in 1964 in Manchester, England. I played it quite a bit for a while and then sadly I put it in its case and forgot about it. Well when I opened the case recently I discovered that the action had become waaaay too high. Yes the neck is bowed. Apart from that it is in excellent shape. I wanted to adjust the truss rod but I have lost the Allen key. With this guitar being so old I want to make sure I use the right key. Has anybody any idea exactly what key is the right one for a 1964 Hofner President?

Chris's Hofner President - 1.