1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hofner Ignition Violin bass vs Hofner Ignition Cavern Violin bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TortoiseBass, Sep 21, 2020.

1. TortoiseBass

TortoiseBass

Aug 26, 2020
    People who own these! I’d like your thoughts on the tones of the two and what you can do with each! One of these may end up being my next bass!

2. I don't own either but the Cavern pickup placement at the neck should tell you what to expect in terms of tone.

Ekulati and TortoiseBass like this.
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Ya, I'd expect a darker tone with the Cavern using both pickups or just the 2nd pickup. But since I only use the neck pickup on my violin basses, then they would sound the same to me :D

4. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I've owned both. The difference is negligible. The regular one can be a little more trebly but barely.

Since you're in the market for one and haven't made a decision, I'd suggest checking out the ignition club bass. Sounds the same but has a more comfortable shape, unless you're specifically looking for the Beatle bass look.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I guess that would make sense, since they're quite dark sounding basses to begin with.

6. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    That bridge pickup on the regular one will obviously get you more treble, but it's not a good sound. Hofners are one trick ponies, and that's not a bad thing.

TortoiseBass and JimmyM like this.
  7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    My 05 Jay Turser turned out to be a surprisingly versatile bass with rounds on it. Used it as my main bass for a good couple years. The only thing it didn't do well is slap. But I'm over that now, and I've got LaBellas on it and my Realistic violin bass. I decided I liked them better as one trick ponies...darn good trick, though :D

8. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Rounds definitely add more tonal options. I haven't played one in years. I don't much like short scales but it was the string spacing that was a problem for me. But they're so good at the Beatle tone and okay at best at any other tone.

JimmyM likes this.
  9. fermata

fermata

Nov 10, 2015
  10. REV

REV Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2006
    I would agree that when the bridge pickup on Hofner basses is used by themselves they don't sound all that great but when you combine the bridge and the neck pickup you get a little more definition and if you use the bridge pickup alone and you put some foam between the pickup and the bridge you get a nice clear but thumpy tone.

11. I’ve got the ignition and a CT. I ordered a cavern CT, played it , but returned it (the neck wasn’t quite right). The sounds was not different in any noticeable way from the CT. In ways I prefer the sound of the ignition - it seems to have more of a bloom (for lack of a better word) on the notes. I only looked at the Cavern because I liked the neck without the binding - it was totally cosmetic thing. They’re fun basses. And unless you crank up the treble pickup on the regular violin bass you won’t notice much of a difference in the sound. Many say they’re one trick ponies, maybe they are, but it’s a good trick.

TortoiseBass and TN WOODMAN like this.
  12. sikamikanico

sikamikanico

Mar 17, 2004
    Never owned one, but played them in stores and my impression was that the cavern was more usable. In particular, I really liked the “bridge” pickup soloed. On the “regular” model, the bridge pickup is not all that useful by itself imo. That to me is the key difference... I never cared for the blended tones on either model, and obviously the neck only tone is the same.

Aside from tone, I’m not super excited about violin bass ergonomics/playability, but maybe it’s a matter of getting used to it? Strangely enough, this is the only bass where narrow bridge spacing didn’t bother me to the point of just putting it back on the rack... I need my 19+ mm spacing! :)

TortoiseBass and DJ Bebop like this.
  13. Ekulati

Ekulati Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2016
    Richmond, VA
    As one who played in a Beatles trib and owned several, world of difference between the cheapies (different name, same thing, Ignition, Icon, Hi Series) and the step up to CT, quality wise. I would avoid both Ignitions, IMO.

electracoyote, DJ Bebop and GregSBass like this.
  14. GregSBass

GregSBass Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Clearwater, Florida
    I can ditto that....I've got both the Violin and Club CT's. The build quality on these two is as good as any German Hofner I've played...especially some of the late 60's 70's....Hofner's quality went downhill for awhile. The tone block in the CT's makes the bass less prone to feedback and makes it balance better....The CT's are worth the little extra money IMO.

PennyroyalWe and DJ Bebop like this.
  15. Yes, the German's, they're almost made like violins...

16. Can watch this many times. Love it.

Bruno1950 and DJ Bebop like this.
  17. TortoiseBass

TortoiseBass

Aug 26, 2020
    This has all been very helpful guys! I’m mainly asking because my local shop only has the regular pup location. I’m not sure about comparisons though as they all seem to be picking in the centre of the body, where the bridge pup is on the cavern. This would make the tone a bit different on the neck. As I’d like to actually see the difference between neck and bridge on cavern. Also, I can only afford Ignition.

18. TortoiseBass

TortoiseBass

Aug 26, 2020
    Also, I thought you were taking a break?

19. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I did. I'm back.

20. matty1039

matty1039

Oct 26, 2015
    New Orleans
    I have an Ignition.I like it. I think with the pickup placement there it would have a little more versatility than with the Cavern. (Someone on here modded their Ignition to have the Cavern configuration.) Their tone switching circuit may have more impact than pickup placement. Someone more knowledgeable my chime in though.

I love mine. I've got a set of Labella flats on it and it is a vintage tone machine. The one I have is black and I took off the pickguard. I take it as a backup often (I only have two hard cases and that is one of them, the other is a universal case.) For some reason people get excited when they see the case. They either have no clue what it is or know exactly what it is. Then when I take it out, I usually get a compliment or they ask to play it.

TortoiseBass likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 22, 2021