1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hofner Ignition Violin bass vs Hofner Ignition Cavern Violin bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TortoiseBass, Sep 21, 2020.

1. t-ray

t-ray

Jan 9, 2005
    Alabama USA
    Having owned several Hofners of all 3 types, I too once thought the Cavern model would make both pickups usable (as the bridge pup is usually not).
    I found that the best tone is still neck pickup only (per Sir Paul). So pickup configuration doesnt really matter if you're only gonna use the one.
    It's a one trick pony...but a very good trick IMO.

Pimpernel Smith and TortoiseBass like this.
  2. FDR Jones

FDR Jones Inactive

Apr 7, 2018
    I prefer Cavern spacing. Most people find the standard-spacing bridge pickup useless. On the Cavern, the 2nd pickup doesn’t have a very different tone from the neck pickup, but it is closer to the strings, so you get more attack without altering the tone.

TortoiseBass likes this.
  3. TortoiseBass

TortoiseBass

Aug 26, 2020
    Oh that was quick!

JimmyM likes this.
  4. TortoiseBass

TortoiseBass

Aug 26, 2020
    So yes, this is all really helpful actually. Thanks! :D
    Can anyone answer my earlier reply from before? If you can, it’d be great. The cavern sounds really nice to me. But that chewy tone the bridge and neck combined gets is really cool. Although, it’s not that different if I just scoop the mids on my P copy. Anyone have any more things to say about the difference between neck and ‘bridge’ on the cavern ignition?
    Once again, thanks! :thumbsup:

5. FWIW, on the lower price point Hofners, I found a big difference between Icons and Ignitions, greatly favoring the former. I own three Icon violin basses in white, green, and classic burst. (Yep, huge Beatle nerd here). It's amazing what can happen to even a low price point instrument when they "re-tool" and/or move production to another factory.

6. PennyroyalWe

PennyroyalWe

Sep 2, 2018
    Oregon
    If you’re looking for the tone, without the violin shape and the corresponding neck dive, I also recommend the club bass. More so, I recommend the Grote club bass copy, as it’s half the price of the Hofner. I bought mine on Amazon, but they don’t have any in stock now. This retailer seems to have them, however. Grote strings Electric Bass Guitar - Musical Instruments online Store

7. lowendrv

lowendrv

Dec 12, 2007
    SoCal
    Only came back when you were threatened with a club being named after you ...... hehe

JimmyM likes this.
  8. Gregory H

Gregory H

Jun 25, 2020
    How do you like the sound and feel of the Grote? I can't believe that anyone is able to produce a decent instrument and keep a business running selling at the sub $200 price point, but then again manufacturing has come a long way even since the 90s.

9. TortoiseBass

TortoiseBass

Aug 26, 2020
    Everyone here, I’m turning this into a poll to give a better overall consensus.

PennyroyalWe likes this.
  10. PennyroyalWe

PennyroyalWe

Sep 2, 2018
    Oregon
    I love it, it’s a fun little bass! There’s obvious shortfalls; the finish isn’t prefect and the bridge isn’t radiused well, the control switches are labeled opposite of what they actually do (treble=neck pu & Vice versa) but nothing that really affects its sound or playability. Here’s a few demos I made:

Neck pickup only: https://thefunkywilsons.bandcamp.com/track/too-loose-goose
    Both pickups:

Gregory H likes this.
  11. The only Hofner model that I ever found the bridge pickup useful on was the 5000/M.
    The 1971 super deluxe with the ability to mix the two pickups. Other than that, I just use the neck pickup on every version of the 500/1 : Ignition, CT or German made.

Screen Shot 2020-09-23 at 4.09.39 PM.png

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
  12. DavyR

DavyR

May 29, 2011
    ??? Hofner basses have a separate volume pot for each pickup, so you can mix all you desire. I use both pickups and roll off the bridge pickup's volume a bit.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  13. heynorm

heynorm

Oct 21, 2010
    Omaha, NE
    After many decades playing P’s & J’s I got an Ignition Cavern following back surgery. Then, a regular Club. The violin Cavern is a bit deeper with only neck pickup, fine for bedroom tone, too muddy with a live band. I actually like rounds on both, which seem to work better in the mix. I’ll blend in a bit of bridge pu as needed on each for more definition, without getting tinny. It didn’t really take long to adjust to short scale. I play mostly finger style. I miss my Fender tone, a bit, but not the shoulder weight, as I hit 70 in a few weeks.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
    TortoiseBass likes this.
  14. DavyR wrote:
    "??? Hofner basses have a separate volume pot for each pickup, so you can mix all you desire. I use both pickups and roll off the bridge pickup's volume a bit".
    The 5000/m basses had a separate 3 position pick selector on the upper bout; and on the lower bout, 1) a volume knob, and, 2) a tone knob. It also had all sorts of active effects like bass boost (as if you needed that) and distortion (fuzz) on some models. Yes, it did take a 9 volt batter accessed from a panel on the back of the instrument. You can't quite see that clearly enough in the photo, sorry.
    Aside from all that, it had an ebony fretboard, double dot fretboard markers, a fancy inlaid head and a 5 piece neck.
    Screen Shot 2020-09-24 at 10.46.24 AM.png

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
    HaphAsSard likes this.
  15. DavyR

DavyR

May 29, 2011
    Nice! I always wanted a 5000 since I saw a B&W pic of one in the 1968 book, "How to Form a Rock Group". I settle back in 2005 for a 2005 Deluxe 5000/1. https://www.amazon.com/form-rock-group-Leslie-Lieber/dp/B0006BUJE0

16. Happy Face

Happy Face Supporting Member

May 3, 2007
    Portland, Maine
    I recall seeing Tina Weymouth sporting one of these at a show at Bezerkly School of Music in Boston. It looked and sounded good.

17. DavyR:
    "I always wanted a 5000 since I saw a B&W pic of one in the 1968 book, "How to Form a Rock Group"."

I read that book, too! I never met anyone else who ever mentioned it before.

DavyR and TortoiseBass like this.
  18. DavyR

DavyR

May 29, 2011
    Ha! Our city library had a copy that I used to check out in the early 1970s...

19. DavyR:
    Our library, too. Amazing.

DavyR likes this.
  20. DavyR

DavyR

May 29, 2011
    I hunted down a copy of the book a few years ago. I'll try to post a pic of the Hofner 5000 in that book. Here's something not related to the book but nonetheless cool. 508px-Wendy_penney_on_hofner.jpg

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
    Pimpernel Smith likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 12, 2021