Hofner Indonesian Club Bass Strings?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dougness, May 9, 2012.

1. I have a new Hofner Indonesian Club Bass. I was going to put D'Addario Chromes on it, but a reviewer on juststrings.com says Chromes collapse the tops of the Indo Club. Does anyone know if this is true?

I've been looking at the LaBella flats, but I have no experience with them. Plus, since the LaBellas are .050 - .100 and the Chromes are .045 - .100, I'm wondering why the LaBellas wouldn't also collapse the top on the Indo version of this bass.

Should I get short scale strings for this bass, or medium scale because of the tail piece?

Thanks.

2. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    I think this belongs in the Strings forum. Haven't heard of any such problems regarding Indonesian-made Hofners, but D'Addario Chromes IME are pretty high tension, as are LaBellas. Try Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Flats - they're about the lowest-tension strings you'll find, and they sound great. They come at a price, but then you may never have to buy another set.

3. Thanks, cdef. I'll check it out. Probably medium scale; not short scale, right?

4. Rob Martinez

Rob Martinez

Sep 14, 2005
    I use La Bella flats for the Beatle bass, extra lights, and they are amazing on my Hofner Icon bass.

5. mikecd1

mikecd1 Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2009
    New England
    I have the CT 500/2 and LOVE the D'Addario all-nickel half-rounds on my bass - 45-100. The only other all nickel flat string is pyramid flats, but they cost a fortune. Not sure what the tension of the half-rounds are but I love the sound and feel of the all-nickel strings on my Hofner. Might be worth checking into and see if the all nickel is lighter tension than the steel flats - I'd imagine it would be, but don't know for sure.

6. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I've been using Labella nylon tapewounds for the Beatle Bass on my Indo Club bass for quite a while with no ill effects at all.

7. I decided on the Thomastik Infelds for my Icon Club bass. I haven't gotten them yet, so I can't give a report, but they get great reviews and seemed right for me, so I went for it.

It sounds like the Pyramids and LaBellas are also great choices. I almost couldn't go wrong.

I gigged the Club bass last night for the first time on a Jazz standards gig. This is my first short scale bass and it took a couple of sets before I felt comfortable with everything being smaller. By the end of the night I was digging it, and that's with the crappy stock strings. Can't wait for the TIs.

Thanks for the responses.

8. I've discovered some pretty bad dead spots on my Icon Club. They're all up high, so I only run into them when soloing on a Jazz tune or playing a slow line in the upper register.

The worst frets are the F# on the G string (11th fret) and the B natural above that (16th fret). Actually, on the G string, from the 9th to the 16th fret there are dead notes, weak notes, and notes that jump off the fretboard. It's randomly inconsistent.

Is this typical for these basses?

9. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Not IME.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021