1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hofner, MusicMan Sterling Ray34, or Fender P?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by buddysilver, May 6, 2010.

1. buddysilver

buddysilver

Feb 7, 2010
    Reading, PA
    There is this HUGE blues festival coming up, and there is supposed to be a pretty big crowd (about 5000+ people throughout the day) and I want a new bass, a step up from my Ibanez EDB400. Our band is supposed to play and I would love a better more brighter tone than what what my current bass can offer.

So I was thinking: A: A Hofner beatles bass, these seem pretty nice and I am a huge beatles fan :D
    B: Sterling by MusicMan Ray34 bass guitar, These are supposed to be exactly like a really Sting Ray but made in Indonesia. THis is a little out of my price range but seems the best to me.
    Or C: I should buy a Mexican Fender P bass off of craigslist for around 300 dollars. P basses sound great and seem to be good for all kinds of music.

Which one out of these seems best suited to last a long time, and will have a good tone for Classic Rock and Blues?

Thanks in advance!!:D

2. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    P bass.

3. Dan B

Dan B

Oct 19, 2008
    Pittsfield, MA
    G&L L2K Tribute?

Otherwise I'd go for the P Bass.

4. If you're thinking bright, I would go with the sterling. Try one out. I tried a few basses out today and it was definitely my favorite of the ones I played.

Jinglesmeowmeow likes this.
  5. IvanHardy

IvanHardy

Oct 24, 2009
    New York, NY
    Spector, EMG, Dirtbag Clothing, WB Gear, LK Straps,
    definately the sterling. stingray's have super beefy tones i own 2 of them.

6. can_v

can_v

Feb 2, 2010
    I would recommend either a P or Ray 34. P always sounds nice to me, don't know why. I just tried ray 34, sounds really nice. I'm looking to buy one myself.

7. Miskatonic

Miskatonic

Sep 15, 2009
    Portland, OR
    I'd vote for the Ray having heard a few side by sides with MIM P's. If price is an issue though, skip the MIM and check out the Squier VM and CV P basses.

As always that's just one man's opinion. Go play em.

8. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    I live the Ray 34 I own... almost as good as my US Ray :p

9. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Another vote for the Ray34.
    I go tone as a back up bass to my Lakland Duck Dunn and the DD has now been sold as i just didnt need it.
    Im not saying they sound the same but for me the Ray34 could cover the songs that need a P tone, gets a nice growl so can cover the Jazz tone and has less trouble cutting through (other than the sometimes weak sounding G string)

I always thought i was a P bass guy until i played the Ray34.

10. P Bass FTW.

11. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Stingray.

Most versatile of the 3, and will give you the extra brightness you're looking for. MM is also the highest quality of the 3 basses you're considering. I could write 3 pages justifying that, but I'm taking a break from sharing my fender observations and experience. :) Don't know all tha much about the hofner but played one at NAMM and it seemed a bit toylike without a whole lot of versatility.

12. jam.majors

jam.majors

Mar 24, 2009
    Louisville, Ky
    Do the Sterling. You already said you want to, and it's awesome.

13. I say the Ray 34. It is the perfect back up for me because it simulate all of my main instruments which are; Ric 4003, 57 RI P and MIA Jazz. You should also check out the SB14. Enjoy

14. Again if money is an issue why not see if you can gert a secondhand Musicman SUB,as close to a Stingray as you can get.

15. TechJunky

TechJunky

Aug 31, 2009
    Columbus, OH
    Count one more for the Ray34. I've got one and a MM Stingray, and it's a stellar bass. Very close in sound and feel (only noticeable difference is the neck finish, which is a satin finish on the Ray34 vs. oiled on the MM). Build quality is great too. There is nothing loose or cheap feeling on the bass at all, and the frets are great, no overhang off the fretboard like a lot of cheaper basses. You could find one used for around $400-500 too, bringing it closer in cost to a MIM P. Careful though, once you get one of these, you'll be lusting after a real MM in no time!

16. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Lubbock, TX
    +1

Or an SB-2 Tribute.

17. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    This was how i felt a few weeks after getting mine. I have now come to realise that getting a "real" MM would not offer me anything over what i have.
    Saying that, i will have a SR4 one day.

18. progrmr

progrmr

Sep 3, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    I'd say get the Ray34 - I have several P-basses since I started playing they are gone. My Ray34 - well it ain't going anywhere. You'll want to play one to see if you like the string spacing/taller neck. If they don't fit you get the SB-14.

You get either one of those, bump a little bass and cut a little mids/highs and you have a thumpy but punchy sound that will be the envy of any P-bass player.

19. TechJunky

TechJunky

Aug 31, 2009
    Columbus, OH
    A Ray34 is really very close to a MM Stingray, and had I not been in a position to pick up a Stingray I would be extremely happy with the Ray34. I still am. Originally I thought I'd sell it after I got the SR, but realized that it's just too great of a bass, so I threw some flats on it and use them both!

20. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    I do agree but i quite fancy a Black with maple necked SR4. Im also wondering if the neck might be a bit easier to play.
    No rush though. I like having a cheapish bass that i dont mind if it gets bumped.

I love Chromes on my other basses but put a set of EB flats on my Ray and hated them. Could be the strings but i went back to XLs the next day.

I can get a very nice, almost upright tone from my Ray34 by plucking over the neck. I couldnt quite get that with my DD so thats another point in the rays favour.