1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hofner, P Bass, Lakland Decade Sound Clips

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Beck McCartney, Sep 27, 2010.

1. Beck McCartney

Beck McCartney

Apr 21, 2009
    Seattle, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amps, Lakland Basses
    A few days ago I picked up a Hofner Contemporary Series 500/1. I started learning some Beatles songs... which has been long overdue. Anyway, I thought I would post a comparison of my three bass for everyone to hear. I am playing the song Something. It has a great bass line. I only spent a half hour learning it before bed, so no making fun of my playing.

I am recording straight into Protools HD3, with a True Systems Precision 8 as my preamp.

I set the basses the way that I normally would. The 50's Road Worn P Bass has volume and tone all the way up. The Skyline Decade with passive single coil chisonics has both pickups and tone all the way up. The Hofner Is only using the neck pickup (for that Paul sound), and is on the rhythm setting. All basses have round wound nickel D'addario's.

Enjoy

Attached Files:

2. Beck McCartney

Beck McCartney

Apr 21, 2009
    Seattle, TN
    ...and the P Bass.

Attached Files:

3. Beck McCartney

Beck McCartney

Apr 21, 2009
    Seattle, TN
    Any thought anyone?

4. I loved the sound of the hofner. it was butter and velvety.

My second fav was the p bass which sounded very nice also.
    Not so much a fan of the decade. it had different quality to it that the others did not.

5. Beck McCartney

Beck McCartney

Apr 21, 2009
    Seattle, TN
    Yeah, the decade is weird like that. On it's own it doesn't sound spectacular, but in a mix, it just fits perfectly. I'm really happy with the Hofner though. I've wanted one for a long time.

6. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    Nice playing and recording.

I like all three. The Hofner is smooth and sweet; in a mix that kind of sound can get lost.

The P and Decade sound very similar to me. A little "point" to the start of a note, and some growl.

7. PDGood

PDGood Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    I agree with Pastor.
    I'd just add that I think the Decade and P bass should be played with fingers to achieve their velvety tone. I totally get that you're making an apples to apples comparison by using a pick on each (and great job by the way), but sometimes when dealing with sound, every instrument's best sound doesn't come from the same style of play.

I also agree with Jasper, what sounds good by itself isn't always what sounds best in the mix.

Very interesting comparison. Much appreciated.

El Pelusa likes this.
  8. deliciouspesto

deliciouspesto

Jan 18, 2009
    hofner sounds great, now put flats on it!

9. I agree with Pastor and PDGood. It woudl also be interesting to hear the P and Decade with different tone settings, but you could drive yourself crazygetting a whole collection together. My other observation is that I see threads here about owning more than one bass. this thread answers those very convincingly.

Jack

10. Definitly should have rolled the tone almost all the way offo n the decade and p bass to match the thump.