Hofner Rewire.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by sissy kathy, May 16, 2014.

1. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    I am a frustrated owner of a Hofner Ignition base. I can't stand the way it is wired. I feel you shouldn't be able to turn the bass off but; that is exactly what happens when you turn on the bass/treble switches. For those not in the know when you 'turn on' the bass you are actually turning off the bridge, and when you 'turn on' the treble you are actually turning off the neck.

I am considering rewiring the bass. Either v v t, like a PJ bass or, with a 3-way toggle, like a telecaster. What are the pros and cons of each configuration. I know I will have to build from scratch and perhaps mod the mounting cavity not a problem. Its a starter bass, I'm not worried about value down the road.

Thanks in advance.

2. I didn't like the standard controls on mine either and modified them to V B T, now it works the way I want to.
    hofner.jpg
    In the process of doing this modification I also made a new control plate, a pickguard and a thumbrest.

Reedt2000 likes this.
  3. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Yup, V/B/T is what you want. Bourns m/n taper blend pot, new control plate. This will give you a lot of tonal shaping ability.

As for cavity reworking, the bass is about 90% hollow so....

& Stratocasters have 5 way switches. 8) not as variable as a blend pot. Three way switches just do what your current sliders do but no turn off: lacks tonal shaping of a blend.

Go blend! ;)

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=jazz_bass_blend

Last edited: May 17, 2014
  4. sissy kathy

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    WOW; Great idea on the thumb rest. did you drill the ring and slide the bar in from the side so it is the length of the gap + both rings or is it attached some other way.

5. I just took a piece of stainless steel tube of 3 by 2.5 millimeters, flattened both ends, drilled two holes at the right center distance (distance between the two mounting screw in the pickup mounting rings) and countersunk these holes so the screw would fit in nicely.

DSC_5388.jpg
    A more detailed picture.

fig, Telemesa and Pentatonic like this.
  6. sissy kathy

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Did you make the new P G cause you couldn't match you control panel w/ old PG?
    did you just mount everything to the plastic control plate or did you make a metal backing plate too.

7. Great work!

8. I did not like the white color the standard pickguard and control plate had, I used a more cream color white.

I mounted the three pots directly to plastic control plate, all I did was put some coper tape on the back of it to have a little bit of shielding and used three EMG knobs I had lying around.

9. sissy kathy

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    ok, so far but back with more questions. I've done a little research and everything I found indicates the the pickups are humbucking. Is this correct? Now the Jazz Bass wiring diagram that was posted here is for single wound coils and uses 250K pots. Fender's site says 500k pots are normally used on humbuckers. So should I be using 500k pots and just substitute them into the wiring diagram? Will that change the cap value I need? Finally I'm a lefty so, how do I mod the wiring diagram for leftys?(I've e-mailed Seymour Duncan about the wiring diagram but, now that I have decided to do this I'm getting antsy)

10. Yes they are humbuckers.
    I think I used 250K pots (long time ago I did this and I'm not 100% sure). I used a standard cap (Orange Drop .047uF @ 100V), this I'm sure of because I never use other caps.
    As far as lefty wiring goes, just switch the outer lugs of the pot.

11. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

500k is what is generally used with humbuckers.

.022 cap is fine. It will be a tad brighter than .047.

12. spike42

spike42 Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2007
    Hi, hope it's OK to open a zombie thread rather than start a new one. As with other Ignition owners, I enjoy that bass....but not the sliders, so
    this is a good topic for me. I've already had a three-hole control plate made (Pickguardian) and am ready to move forward. I like the idea of
    V/B/T and have found what I think should be the right blend pot:

Amazon.com: Bourns Mini Blend-Balance Guitar Potentiometer, 500K Dual MN Taper / Center Detent, Knurled Split Shaft: Musical Instruments

My question is what I should use for the other two ports. Amazon makes a "frequently bought together" suggestion that seems to include
    one audio taper and one linear, but I'm not sure whether to believe that or not. These are 500K which per this thread should be OK, but if
    anyone has any further opinion or has done this modification since the last time this thread was updated, all input would be welcome. Thanks!

13. sissy kathy

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    I prefer the linear tapers, but you may not, it's really a matter of personal preference. I didn't use a blend either. I am also considering making the neck pickup a straight output to the tone. I use both pickups together and find I'm keeping the neck at full volume all the time, so have no need for the volume for the neck. Currently I'm v/v/t.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
  14. sissy kathy

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    No, the above is incorrect; I'm considering a master volume (both pickups), volume for the bridge and tone. I'll be able to mute the bass for fades and such w/o changing my settings and with one touch (using master volume.)

15. Telemesa

Telemesa

Apr 25, 2019
    Florence, SC
    I leave all switches up and just use the volume controls to blend my tone. At the most I would flip the switch to turn the guitar off between sets, or turn the boost off for a mellow soft song but I control the volume and blend with the knobs alone, never the switches.

16. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

If I ever owned one I'd remove the existing control plate, complete with the pots & bits & put in a new one wired V/V/T.

fig likes this.
  17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 28, 2021