1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Hofner shorty Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by magic8161, Nov 30, 2017.

1. magic8161

magic8161 Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Milwaukee
    Question 1, Would Anyone consider gigging with one of theses? 2) if you have how was the sound? I would rather take one of theses then a regular bass on board a flight. or ever a Hohner B2A Headless

2. Chicory Blue

Chicory Blue Secretly Queen of the Moon Supporting Member

I’ve wanted one of these for a long while.

If I remember correctly, I think @pcake has one.

--^@

magic8161 likes this.
  3. Hurricane Jimmie

Hurricane Jimmie Supporting Member

I got one as a present a couple of years ago. Thought I would use it for a few songs each set... just to give my shoulder a rest. I took it to one gig but didn't really connect with it.
    You're probably not going to get a classic bass sound from a Hofner Shorty....maybe with some EQ and pedals? Probably says more about me than the Hofner!
    That being said, it's a well made bass for the money.

magic8161 likes this.
  4. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    magic8161, mine sounded fine, and the scale wasn't super short - just a normal 30", so nice and playable. i can't see any reason why you couldn't gig with one.

had one. i sold it a month or so ago. nothing wrong with it, but i found it wasn't the best shape for playing while sitting as the body was a bit on the thick side for its size, and there was no ramp at the edge. imo ibanez mikros and traveler TB-4P are better to play while sitting down. so is the squier jag ss, but the body on it's bigger than the shorty, mikro or TB-4P.

magic8161 likes this.
  5. eeLALlen

eeLALlen

Oct 27, 2018
    I just received a new one... it could certainly be fine for gigging, but mine requires setting up the bridge better, as the action is far too high for my taste. I'm also changing the strings ASAP, as the medium-heavy gauges on it are way too heavy for me - especially because the neck is a BIG C-shape, like an old P-bass, thick as a baseball bat. This also enhances the "neck dive" problem, though using a 3" AirCell strap helps keep it in place. I really don't understand Hofner opting for the massive neck circumference on this model, as it is NOTHING like their classic basses! A slimmer neck would have lightened the weight a bit, and made the bass more versatile, in my view.

6. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    I was considering getting one of these basses to tool around with at one time but found it lacking in the kind of sound that one can even gig with, well results vary- depends what kind of player and music you're into. For me, it's giving up too much for the sake of portability. I agree, the neck is pretty chunky for the bass - a thinner neck would have been nice.

I found my Hohner B2ADB headless to be something more along the lines of something I wouldn't mind gigging with - it's got a bigger sound, pretty versatile and not that much larger or perhaps go with an Ibanez Mikro.

7. eeLALlen

eeLALlen

Oct 27, 2018
    I have a Hohner Steinberger-licensed 6-string guitar, owned for over 25 years, and I love its sound and portability - it's traveled many miles with me. I was hoping to find a similar bass, but with 30" scale for air travel. The Hofner is the closest I could get...
    Update: I lowered the action considerably, and did not get any fret buzz - success! Makes quite a difference, but I still intend to replace the strings with a Rotosound 66S set on order.

Maxdusty likes this.
  8. Volker Kirstein

Volker Kirstein Blippy the Wonder Slug Supporting Member

I've been thinking about a Hofner Shorty for a while, and have even considered buying a new one at times. I'm aware of the neck dive, and I know I can't sit comfortably with it. Still, I want one.

I scour the want ads religiously, as I'm always on the look out for my next bass. On the rare occasions when a Shorty pops up, it's always in the €100+ range.

This morning, this puppy shows up for €75, shipping included. The giant sticker on the back shouldn't devalue it that much, should it?

Anyway, I'm seriously considering pulling the trigger on this one.
    IMG_20190904_111033.jpg
    IMG_20190904_111052.jpg

HaphAsSard likes this.
  9. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    One day I'll get one, also get a Shorty guitar, figure out how to connect the two bodies, and have myself a cheap, lightweight and compact doubleneck just for giggles. (And no, I wouldn't mind if someone else stole the idea.)

10. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    I've got two vintage ones from '83. I've gigged them and traveled with them lots. I can get a nice lean, tight sound with the factory Pyramid rounds. I usually add just a little bass.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 12, 2021