1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

hofner shorty info?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pcake, Mar 12, 2016.

1. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    i'm interested in the hofner shorty, and i have a couple questions and i'm hoping a couple people here can answer them. what does your hofner shorty weigh and how thick is the body? the weight apparently varies some - which is normal - but i'm trying to get a range, and the body thickness is important to me due to a range of motion issue.

2. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    Which version are you looking to buy, the original German made or the Chinese CT? There are some minor spec differences, mainly that the Chinese CT version is a 30" scale while the original German made 187 has a 28" scale. Weight of the German 187 is 2 kg (4.4 lbs). Don't know about the CT.

Hope this is of some help.

TD

3. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    i should have specified the chinese version. you say they're similar, so do you happen to know the body depth? they seem very thick for their size...

4. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    Sorry I don't. Why don't you contact Hofner through their website and ask them.

TD

5. Gorn

Gorn Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    There's a German made shorty? I thought it was just a budget Asian made travel bass. (Not that there's anything wrong with that).

6. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

THE 1982-86 GERMAN PRODUCTION PERIOD
    The Shorty concept was well developed, with four versions being offered during the 1982-86 period.:

• Standard 6-string version (Model 180)
    • Super 6-string version with built-in amplifier and speaker (Model 181) - True Portability !!
    • Bass Guitar version (Model 187)
    • Standard 6-string version in Kit Form
    The Hofner Shorty - Fact File

HaphAsSard likes this.
  7. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    i could give it a try. i didn't even think of it as my past interactions with hofner haven't been very helpful.

8. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    I've seen you already found this thread, so I'll link to the follow-up:
    Hofner Shorty goes flying
    And a couple others, with more members who own(ed) a Shorty:
    Hofner Shorty CT Bass coming to USA?
    Hofner Shorty Bass - Machine Head Recos?

Do you still have the Shredneck? How did you like that one?
    Oh, and in case you do end up getting the Hoffie, remember to leave a comment here:
    Hofner Shorty vs Shredneck comparison

9. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    saw those and a couple more. i didn't see any comments on thickness, and only one on weight.

i didn't love the shredneck, so my husband took the entire thing apart, made it a new body and it mostly hangs on the wall. the neck was uncomfortable for me to play for extended periods, not sure quite why. it's very cute, and probably the neck would be fine for many. if i get a shorty, i'll post a comparison.

10. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    Yeah, it was meant to help you build a list of TBers who own one (in case you feel like paging them), more than anything.

pcake likes this.
  11. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    I have two 1983 German ones, blue and mahogany. Both are 4.2 pounds. The thickness of the body is 1-5/8" and overall length is 35-1/2".

pcake likes this.
  12. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Yeah. I have one of the 28" scale German ones from the 80's. They are great for piccolo and tenor tunings.
    Not so great for standard. Super short scale and a very hot humbucker located a fraction of an inch from the bridge.

13. Gorn

Gorn Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Yup. Sounds like the last bass I'd ever wanna play but more power to people who like them.

14. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    hey, if you develop torn rotator cuffs or similar injuries, tiny basses become a lot more appealing.

FranF likes this.
  15. Gorn

Gorn Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I'm sure they do.

16. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    Exactly what happened to me. Rotator cuff surgery on my right side last year had me crippled for 9 months. My Shorties saved my a** and were the only basses I could play. When I do my left side total shoulder replacement, they'll be first-call again. I have to admit, I detune half step, and use Pyramid rounds on them, and with minor eq-ing, they sound surprisingly good. No shame at all.

pcake likes this.
  17. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    I like mine, in those altered tunings.
    Sometimes you have to let an instrument tell you what it needs to be tuned to, not the other way around.

18. axesword

axesword

Feb 14, 2011
    Houston, TX
    pcake - Yup, I have the lonely "Shorty vs. Shredneck" comparison discussion. I've been waffling between the two and read about your adventures with short scale basses. I've had both shoulders worked in within the past 4 years (left shoulder complete rotator tear) and since then have decided that short scales are best for me. As I'm an extremely novice player that just likes making pleasing sounds that only I get to hear, I'm not a real connoisseur but I did finally find a bass that I really like. I switched to a Hofner Ignition Club last fall and really like the light weight and sound with La Bella Black Tape Beatle Bass strings, but am very hesitant to take it traveling. The newer Shortys are appealing to me for work travel and camping. Just trying to figure out if they can take the short scale LB black tape strings.

I Googled the Shorty and found two sites that agree on the estimated shipping weight of 8lbs and 5" thickness

Amazon.com: Hofner HCT-SHB-BK-O Shorty Electric Travel Bass Guitar with Gig Bag, Black: Musical Instruments
    Hofner Shorty Travel Electric Bass (with Gig Bag) at zZounds

I hope that helps.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016