1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hofner style bass - Pick up Height

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Banksy76, Apr 4, 2015.

1. Banksy76

Banksy76

Nov 5, 2013
    I know that when adjusting pickups its ultimately about trusting your ears but I was hoping that some folk here would be kind enough to share with me the pickup heights on their Hofner or Hofner style bass guitars to provide me with a guideline and starting point.

Many thanks in advance.

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    My general approach is to make them high enough that the magnets cause high fretted notes on low strings to start that chorusing "too close" sound, then back them down until a bit after it stops. Depends on how strong the magnets are.

3. Fatboy 2015

Fatboy 2015

Mar 13, 2015
    yup like bholder said, slight variences, in pickups, and instruments, make this much like a new setup, just gotta take the steps, and get it right, kinda the diference between a sqire and an american std fender P bass, bought new, the squire, set up on a production based line, not so perfect, needs tweeking 99% of the time, while the fender is set up by a bass tech, much more perfect, due to his abilities and running off his knowledge rather than, specs on a tune sheet.

4. Banksy76

Banksy76

Nov 5, 2013
    Many thanks for your replies, much appreciated.
    Although I have previous performed a set up on both my Precision and Jazz bass after doing a little homework and then refining by ear I am new to the hofner style and unlike other types of bass there seems very little in the info on the net so Im just trying to obtain some tips and rough measurments to get me in the ball-park and to provide me with a reference point.

I will certainly take onboard your advice, so generally both neck and bridge pick ups faily close?
    Do you tend to match the outputs of each pickup or is a richer tone is achieved with a difference between the pickup output?