1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hofner Truss Rod Issue

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by adamrobertt, Jan 14, 2012.

1. I took my friend (and bandmate's) Hofner "Contemporary Series" Club Bass in for a setup a few days ago. I just picked it up today - he had LaBella flats put on it - and the strings feel and sound great, but it's buzzing like crazy. I checked the neck and it has a very slight backbow and the truss rod needs adjusting.

After being slightly annoyed that it even needs a truss rod adjustment after a professional setup, I decided to just adjust it myself. I've done my own setups and I know what I'm doing, but none of my allen wrenches would fit. I checked the truss opening with a flashlight and noticed that the truss rod adjustment opening is round, not hex-shaped like an allen key should be. I wondered if someone just stripped the allen slot, but it looks way too round for that to be true. Usually if a screw or hex-shaped hole is stripped, you can still see the ridges that used to be there, they're just more rounded. This looks totally round and sort of conical as it goes down.

Do I need a special tool to adjust this truss rod? That would explain why my guy didn't adjust it, although it's still a bit annoying that he didn't let me know. I checked my friend's case and didn't find anything, but I did find a website selling a "Hofner Truss Rod Adjustment Wrench" made for their German made line of basses; it specifically said "not for use with Contemporary Series basses."

Anyone have any idea here?

2. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    "Slightly" ?

No, you take this back to where they took your money, and have them make it right, or refund.

3. funkytoe

funkytoe Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Northern California
    Hofners have a unique truss rod wrench. You can buy them on line from North Coast Music here in the US.

4. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    According to their site that wrench doesn't fit the Contemporary or Icon series.

5. I figured it out... it was a smaller allen key than I'm used to using for truss adjustments. The hole is really round looking, I still can't really make out a hexagonal shape when I look at the rod with a flashlight, but I got a key in there and made the necessary adjustments. Thanks for the replies.

6. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    What size allen wrench did you end up using to adjust the truss rod?

I've got a Hofner Icon that has a very slight backbow after the bass moved from NYC to GA.

7. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Anyone?

I can't seem to find the size anywhere online. :meh:

8. I think it's 5mm

9. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Ya know--I finally found my metric set. Turns out it's a 4mm. But, thanks for the response.

The knobs look great, btw!

10. Awesome!

That is weird about it being a 4mm. The allen wrench that they ship with these has a 5 on it.

11. SKlaszky

SKlaszky

Feb 22, 2018
    My Contemporary Club also takes 4mm. It was not included in my purchase.