SOLD Hofner Verythin CT

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by ariwax, Dec 2, 2015.

1. ariwax

ariwax Insonating the acoustic window

Apr 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Price:
    $650 OBO
    Strings:
    Back on the market. Here's something you don't see every day.

Up for your consideration is a very nice Hofner Verythin. This is from the Contemporary series, meaning there is a solid center block to cut down on feedback but it still sounds like a hollowbody. The pickups are the real-deal German staple pups, and the neck is made in Germany, while assembly is done in Beijing, so it cost around $900 new instead of $3k like the German Hofners.

There are two minor cosmetic issues with the bass: firstly, there is a pair of shallow finish cracks near the neck joint which can be seen in the pictures but which do not penetrate the finish. I have had these evaluated by my luthier and they are strictly cosmetic - the neck joint is solid as a rock. Secondly a strap button screw was stripped (at the bridge side) and I replaced it with a larger screw. Otherwise there is nothing to disclose. The bass was never dropped, gigged or exposed to smoke.

Fit and finish are excellent, the sunburst is extremely well done and the front and back have a graceful arch. Pretty flame maple top and back, cool inlays on the rosewood fingerboard, long tailpiece. It truly is a very thin bass (especially for an archtop) weighs five pounds and in sum is a very elegant and expensive-feeling instrument.

It sounds exactly like a Hofner is supposed to sound - it obviously can do the early Beatles thing, but is shockingly good for rock, blues and surprisingly is a window-rattling dub monster. And it looks awesome! It's yours for $600 OBO, and since it didn't come with a case, I will have it professionally packed by FedEx and fully insured. Who's looking for an awesome hollowbody that nobody else has?

Feel free to PM with questions. Thanks!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
    blindrabbit and StreetScenes like this.
  2. ariwax

Apr 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    In response to questions, the scale is 30" and there is a zero fret. Intonation is spot on. The truss has never needed adjusting and she is wearing a broken-in set of Chromes. I will consider trades; however, I do not need any new Jazz basses, as I found a CS Closet Classic which is rocking my world, though I always like a nice P-bass and if you have an Ovation Magnum, get at me. Maybe a fretless? PayPal is fine, and as always, cash is king.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
    blindrabbit likes this.
  3. ariwax

Apr 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Back on the market bump!

4. ariwax

Apr 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Still up for grabs. Beautiful instrument here, just not getting played.

5. that 50's P bass is still here....

6. chumpchampion

chumpchampion

Feb 11, 2016
    Mental Block Records
    Pm me if you are interested in trade plus cash

7. Brio

Brio

Mar 10, 2013
    Kansas City
    Pm'd with something new

8. ariwax

Apr 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Sold!

Brio and blindrabbit like this.
  9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021