1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hofner Violin Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Zach Young, Dec 31, 2017.

1. Zach Young

Zach Young

Dec 29, 2017
    Can anyone give me any information about the Hofner Violin Bass, Style HI-BB-L-SB-O? I'm wondering what the difference is between this particular model and the standard Ignition series being sold at Guitar Center for $400.00 any input would be helpful.

2. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i know nothing. just here for the read!

3. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    If you're looking at the low end Hofners, consider the Rogue VB100. I don't own one, but 2 friends of mine do. There are several existing posts you can review here on TB to see reviews of the VB100 for yourself. This model is currently on sale at GC for $179, and there may be a 15% off coupon which would make it even more affordable. They are commonly on sale as low as $149.

BTW, when you review the ads, please note the color is much more yellow/orange than they are in real life. Here's a photo of my buddy Dale with his:
    Dale%20Brooks-2_zpsbnfkmplj.jpg

4. Zach Young

Zach Young

Dec 29, 2017
    Thanks, believe it or not I just sent my Rouge back. Something about it just didn't feel right. So I'm trying this hofner and see how it feels. I'v heard about B grade instruments being sold as the original and I thought perhaps something in the style name would give me a hint of what grade it is.

nixdad likes this.
  5. shoulderpet

shoulderpet

Sep 24, 2015
    As far as I can tell they seem to be the same bass.
    My advice is that if your finances can stretch a little more then go for on of the CT Hofners , they cost a little more but are much nicer instruments.

fermata and Zach Young like this.
  6. Zach Young

Zach Young

Dec 29, 2017
    I went ahead and bought one. So far I'm not disappointed, I am going to switch out the strings to flat wound and see where that takes me.

FranF likes this.
  7. shoulderpet

shoulderpet

Sep 24, 2015
    Good call, Hofners sound amazing with flatwounds

Zach Young likes this.
  8. biguglyman

biguglyman

Jul 27, 2017
    Rochester, NY
    LaBella makes a nice set of flats designed specifically for the "Beatle bass".

Zach Young likes this.
  9. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

The CT series is not a hollow body like the flagship 500/1 and the Ignition series are. It sounds different. At least to my ears when I tried one out. The Ignition sounded closer to the traditional Hofner sound.

Deak and Zach Young like this.
  10. Zach Young

Zach Young

Dec 29, 2017
    I haven't switched the strings yet, hopefully I'll find time today. I played it most of the day yesterday and it's sounds good I'm happy with it. The flats I have are D'Addario, I'm going to check out the LaBella the next time I get to to town. Being new to the Bass scene I'm open to suggestions and appreciate the input. So far I'm finding the Bass fricken awesome!! I love the sound it puts out.

11. BassJuju

BassJuju

Jul 9, 2016
    Kentucky
    Sorry, to be late to this post, but I am considering one of these. I like Hollow Body basses and this is kind of Iconic. Which model Hofner did you end up buying? Still like it?

12. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
  13. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    Hofner basses have a unique sound... unlike anything else. Why? it is constructed very much like a double bass. There is no solid block in the middle of hollow body wings - it is a hollow body bass. This makes it resonate very much like a double bass; big attack, not a lot of sustain. With flat wounds, it really accentuates that trait.

I love it for many styles of music, NeoSoul, R&B, Jazz, Folk, Singer songwriter vibe. Any time you need a retro vibe, it works. It has no growl, grind or grit, not a bass I would use for heavy or progressive stuff, not good for slap.

The ignition bass is made in Indonesia, its a Hofner, it sounds like a Hofner. Build quality is good, tuning machines work but not great quality (a polite way of saying they are sh**).

The Ignition bass is like a Squier P. It sounds and plays like its more expensive cousin. I use it in the studio, it records very well. I doubt if you could tell in a mix that it was the less expensive version of this design.

I would recommend this bass as addition to your other bass/basses. I don't think it is flexible enough to be the only bass you own.... IMO All in all, worth owning this bass for its unique voice.

FranF and Deak like this.
  14. fermata

fermata

Nov 10, 2015
    The Contemporary line is built at Hofner's Chinese factory by Hofner-trained employees. It uses German pickups and has a center block, making it semi-hollow and bringing the weight to a bit over six pounds. I love mine and consistently prefer it to most other basses I try.

The Ignition is outsourced for Hofner. It's fully hollow (around four pounds) and uses Chinese-made electronics. The ones I've played sounded great, but the feel and aesthetics are a little less polished than the Contemporary.

(Roughly speaking, comparing to Fender's line, Ignition = Squier, Contemporary = MIM, German = MIA.)

bass81800 and Sleeko like this.
  15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 13, 2021