Hofner Violin or Verythin Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jazzman64, Jun 10, 2021.

1. Verythin

50.0%
  2. Violin

22.2%
  3. Club

27.8%
  1. jazzman64

jazzman64 Commercial User

Apr 16, 2021
    North Jersey
    Hello everyone...I am having a hard time deciding which bass to get! Hofner Violin, Club, or Verythin Bass. They all have the same pickup config but each has a unique body shape. I like the Verythin because it is so unique, but the violin bass is calling my name. HELP!!!
    hct-500_7-sb_n1.jpg
    HCT-500_2-SB_1.jpg hct-500_1-sb_1.jpg

jeff7bass likes this.
  2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    The violin and club sound and play the same, but the club is much more comfortable and looks better, IMO. The verythin is a different thing. The club and violin are apples and the verythin is an orange.

leftybass54, jeff7bass and jazzman64 like this.
  3. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 Life is short, buy the bass. Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    Go with your heart and your first choice!

Tooned, Shawn Luckman and jazzman64 like this.
  4. blacktocomm

blacktocomm Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2013
    West By God
    I have a Verythin and an Epiphone Viola. Not exactly the same comparison, but the Verythin is much different in feel when I play it. The body is thin but very wide. I find my Guild Starfire a bit more comfortable. Mine also had frets like a roller coaster when I received it. Buzzing everywhere. Now that it’s been leveled and set up it plays quite nice. The neck pickup will for sure get you the tubby dubby sixties sounds that Hofner is known for. The bridge pickup has plenty on snap and bite. I personally have been enjoying writing punk jams with mine.

PJ Muzikmansky likes this.
  5. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I've owned the Icon and Ignition Violin, Contemporary 500/5 President, Galaxie shortscale solidbody and Ignition Club. I've also played the Contemporary Violin and the German 500/1 at a former bandmates and compared them to my Ignition Club. After the comparison my bandmate told me he wanted to buy my Club or one like it. A recording engineer also asked I'd sell him my Club after he recorded us playing a few demo songs with it. I still have it.

I never tried the Verythin because I had the Club.

My consistent favorite of all those for tone and ease of play is the Ignition Club.

6. I keep wondering if some one can compare the sound of the Verythin to either an Ignition, German made, or CT violin.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    I didn't know the Club was a choice till I saw your pics, so I chose Verythin. But I'd rather have a Club, although I'll take any of them.

8. HCF

HCF Of course, YMMV

Nov 30, 2008
    Amsterdam
    I tried the club and verythin today. The club was an ignition, so take that into account, but the verythin sounded really good. A really nice and full sound. The Club was a floor model that had been on the floor too long. Terrible fret buzz, terrible electronics buzz, so I won't say too much about how it sounded, but the neck was also quite (really) tick.

I'm myself now seriously considering the verythin, but anybody any idea how feedback-sensitive the bass is?

JimmyM likes this.
  9. FlyingPigSound

FlyingPigSound Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2013
    Bartlett, IL
    I prefer the beef of the Verythin....

jazzman64 likes this.