1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

HOG vs. POG Organ tones...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by rasthedoctor, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Alrighty - looking for people with experience with both pedals, but I'm only interested in the organ sounds one can make, so I pose the question: which creates the more realistic organ effect? I know the freeze/gliss that the HOG has, plus the fact that you can save settings with the optional board, but if I can get as good of an organ sound out of the POG, I'd rather save $150-$200.

Thanks in advance...

2. bigchiefbc

bigchiefbc Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2006
    Rhode Island, USA
    I have not played the HOG, only the POG; so this might not be perfectly helpful, but I think the POG makes fantastic pipe organ sounds. Also, it has the detune sliders on both upper octaves, which give it a bit of a chorus-y pitch modulation. Combine that with a phaser (or even better, a roto-sim) set on fast, and there you have a hammond. If you look in the effects wiki, there is are a few clips of me playing the POG

3. Totally useless comment here... of all the sound samples I've heard of both, the POG does a better job IMO. But I've never even SEEN either in the flesh so, make of that what you will!

4. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    If you look through e bay, the HOG can be had with an expression pedal for $375, that's within punching distance of a POG's price.

Functionally, I've no use for all the extra octaves ( 4Up? :eyebrow:) but the filter and envelope sections plus the expression modes stroke my curiousity.

5. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    I've owned a POG previously, and currently own a HOG. The POG can do a great organ sound in its own right, it was definitely fun to play. The only reason that I grabbed a HOG was because of the extra expression pedal modes which can really open up new and interesting sounds and playing methods. What it really comes down to IMHO is whether you have:
    a) The need for expression pedal modes (octave bend, step bend, volume, freeze & gliss, freeze & volume, wah wah, and filter), more octave options (-2, +.5 +1.5 +2.33, +3, +4) while sacrificing the detuned +1 and +2 octaves, and filter and envelope settings. Obviously, not everyone needs all these things (actually... most people probably don't need all these things), but they sure are fun! :D
    b) The money/inclination to buy a HOG. The HOG is a bit more money than a POG, it depends on if the extra features are worth the extra cost to you.
    c) The space required on your pedalboard. (the HOG is HUGE just by itself! Add the expression pedal, and possibly the optional foot controller however, and it takes up massive room on your board!)

If you poke around on here, you can find a review I did on the HOG, or you can find my sound clips on the TB wiki. (For an explanation of what the heck is going on in the sound clips, take a look-see at my review.)

6. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    The new Mars Volta album ignites my HOG GAS. HOGAS. HOGASS.

Anyway, I've never been so interested in a harmonizer pedal until now, and the HOG looks mighty tempting. I doubt I'll ever be able to try before I buy, though. Southern Louisiana isn't the easiest place to find expensive pedals. I guess I'll just have to wait until I win the lottery.

7. well, the IS this newfanglything called (i think) "Teh Intertr0n"
    :bag:

8. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Rochester, NY
  9. my ps-3 does organ sounds

10. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    the filter and envelops on this pedal really opened it up when i played it.

i use a micro pog for space/price reasons and have decent results with it, but it works best with guitar for organ type tone (or when used in conjunction with my whammy) a la the full size POG

11. bigchiefbc

bigchiefbc Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2006
    Rhode Island, USA
    Also keep in mind the full POG has a three-mode LPF, which I found to be quite useful in getting a variety of tones. Although I turned it off completely to get the organ sound

12. Hmm... it all sounds so good, I want both. However, it seems that people generally agree that the POG creates the better organ sound than the HOG. I just wish I could test drive them side my side, but SpankyPants is right - Southern Louisiana isn't really the best place to buy anything that isn't super-standard. I listened to everyone's tracks (and did further research on the EHX site and youtube, etc.) and thoroughly appreciate everyone's comments.
    Space isn't an issue, and I would love to be able to save multiple settings, but I don't need a freeze... *GAH*

I've completely defeated one of my purposes for starting this thread - I have more GAS now than when it began.

13. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Order it online through MF. They have a generous return policy ("I didn't like it" is a valid reason for return). They even pack the prepaid mailing label in your shipment. All you gotta do is call them for a Return Authorization number which you write on the shipping label. Then you take the package back to UPS or FEDEX (or have them come over to pick it up)

14. I don't agree. I own the HOG, and have played the POG, and they sound quite similar. You turn off all the harmony settings and they sound almost identical, IMO. I would post sound clips of the organy goodness, but my recording capabilities suck. Plus you can do a sound hold of the organy goodness and play a line over it. That adds mucho depth and sounds bitchin.

15. I'm under the impression that the ability to detune that the POG has helps create the organ sound - an ability the HOG doesn't have. I must say that the idea of playing over a chord is pretty ding-dang enticing...

syciprider - Thanks for the advice regarding MF - now I just need my IRS refund to come through so I can get rid of some GAS...

16. Noaita

Noaita

Jun 6, 2003
    Shameless booster guy.
    I have the Micro POG, as does my guitar player, and they sound pretty spankin' good. A bit cheaper than the POG (only has 1 octave up and 1 octave down) and can get some pretty cool sounds. I got mine from Guitar Center. If there is a Guitar Center in Louisiana, they should be able to get you one, if they are not already in stock.

17. You may be right, my memory is certainly a-lot sharper with the HOG than the POG, but to my ear it is still really organ-like, and when I played the HOG for the first time it sounded just like how I remembered the POG (no room for error there...:ninja:). The expression capabilities on the HOG are really cool though and make it stand out. Of tremendous help in a 3 piece.

IMO....

which is always right.....

just ask me.

18. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    Thinking of incorporating the HOG into my board. Any idea what the size is, compared to the full sized POG or the BMS? I've been searching the web for exact dimensions but i haven't found any.

19. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    It's about half again as big plus the expression pedal.

20. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks Supporting Member

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    Having A/Bed the HOG and POG, I can tell you that I found the octave sounds more natural on the HOG - they sounded a bit "mechanic" on the POG. Can't tell you about organ sounds though, because what I was interested in at the time were strictly octaves. I now own the HOG btw.