Hohner Acoustic Piezo Pickup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by katonart, May 2, 2002.

1. I have a Hohner accoustic bass guitar with a piezo/ceramic pickup in the bridge. (The fat kind) The G string has lower volume than the other strings. (I've tried many sets of strings) I've taken it apart and the pickup has a single element with no sign of any reason why one end would be quieter. Has anyone else had this problem? Has anyone had any luck fixing it or using some sort of sound-hole pickup instead? The instrument is inexpensive but sounds decent acoustically. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
  2. I've got a Hohner TWP600B acoustic bass.

I had a few problems with uneven string volume-
    I think a common problem with piezo pickups is uneven string volume if the saddle isn't perfectly flat and in contact with the piezo element throughout.

you can try sanding the underside of the saddle flat, but I tried another method;

I removed the saddle and broke it into 4 pieces (after filing V grooves on the underside at the point of breakage), then replaced it- seems to do the trick.

I also put blobs of epoxy resin glue over the break points after retightening the strings to stop the pieces falling out when the strings are removed.

I think there should be individual saddle pieces and slots for each string for all electro-acoustic basses and guitars.
  3. guitartec

Jul 14, 2008
    Please elaborate of your fix. V grooves where exactly? In the bottoms of the saddles or in the 6 ceramic blocks. Pics would really help, as I don't understand how the v groove makes better contact with the piezo strip.

The tools u used would be cool too.