1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hohner B Bass 6er

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RicoDirenzo, Apr 29, 2009.

1. RicoDirenzo

RicoDirenzo

Apr 3, 2009
    Chico, CA
    I just bought this bass for $250 sight unseen and I'm hoping I won't be kicking myself in the posterior. I have a Fender Precision 4, two Schecters (5 and 8-double) and a Carvin Custom 5 all which are great basses. Anyone played on one of these and can you alleviate my anxiety (or increase it)?:meh:

2. mark beem

mark beem I'm alive and well. Where am I? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    I had one of these. My first 6 string purchased around the '95 time frame. That was a great bass. It had a few issues. First, I didn't like the bridge design because it made changing strings a real pain..

The second item was the control cavity layout.. It was a bird's nest of jumbled wires and made swapping out the preamp battery a problem because it was very easy to snag and rip outthe wires..

Not sure if they've addressed those issues since then.

3. bassopotamus102

bassopotamus102

Mar 28, 2009
    I don't think you are going to regret it at all. I purchased mine about a month ago and did it on faith.

I have never been more happy with a bass, especially considering the price.

I had a couple electronics issues (wire broken at pot, capacitor touching the trim pot on the circuit board) but after those were resolved, i can't put it down.

it has a wide neck, but not too wide. it has a great sound and excellent playability. and, it looks great.

what's not to like? i think you will be happy. if not, you could probably sell it for what you paid!

4. RicoDirenzo

RicoDirenzo

Apr 3, 2009
    Chico, CA
    Awesome....I have huge hands and no bass fret board is too big including massive 8's. What concerned me most was the appearance of the lack of EQ (stacked bass/treble pots) which I have never liked. I understand that this bas sounds better passive than active. If the active sucks and the action is good I'll consider an Aguilar preamp installation. :hyper:

5. bassopotamus102

bassopotamus102

Mar 28, 2009
    you might be surprised by the sound of this bass in the active mode, which I definitely like better. it has a little growl to it.

I have been able to set the action lower on this bass than any other i have ever owned. that being said, my BBass 6Q could use a good fret levelling, but for now? it's is awesome!

good luck!:hyper: