Hohner B Bass fivers or sixers, any owners?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rdhbass, May 5, 2004.

1. rdhbass

Jun 28, 2003
    Springfield, mo
    I bidded on a Hohner B Bass Five and just won it on ebay, but haven't recieved it yet. I usually wince at the hohner name, yet I could not resist since I got it for less than $200. Everybody says the string spacing is narrow, cheap emg-select p/u's, etc. , but hey...it's a neck through and it was cheap, right? I was wondering before i recieve it, is the body pretty darn small. Seems like it would be. Tell us some stories on your B basses and post a pic if you wanna. I think its an unusual bass, and want to know others opinions on these axes.
  2. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    The first 6 string I bought was a Hohner B... Excellent bass for the money!! Don't be fooled by the name.. I've owned several Hohner basses ( B-Bass 6, B2B-AD 5 string Steiney copy, and a fretless J-type) and all were great.

Now the one I had was bought back in 95 and had different pups. Not sure what kind, but they weren't Selects. The only real complaints I had with the bass were:

1. Changing the low B string was difficult because of the bridge.

2. The control cavity was a mess!! Changing the battery was difficult.

3. There was not a separate battery compartment.
  3. Couldn't agree with you more, Matt;

My 1st sixer was also a Hohner B VI.
    The pickups were EMG selects. The neck reminded me a little of a base ball bat. But I really liked the boost adjuster in the rear. I bought it in 95 for $700.00. Not a bad price.
    The thick neck reminds me of the Warwicks. The string spacing was alright.

All in all not a bad bass.

4. rdhbass

Jun 28, 2003
    Springfield, mo
    Thanks for the replies guys. Hey, but the sixers look and seem nicer than my fiver I just bought!. Any owners out there of the B Bass V? Hows the string spacing? Like an ibanez soundgear? Thanks.
  5. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Me three - my first and only six ever was a B Bass VI. It was gorgeous, and thanks to Mars going out of business, was 500 bucks. I played it for awhile but just couldn't get solid on it so I sold it. (Later I would have better experiences on a Conk 7, but still all that range isn't very "me" so I'm down to 4s and 5s for sure.)

The bottom line is, even tho we all have owned sixes, that line of basses was pretty nice and well made in our experience =0) - good luck to you!