Hohner B-Bass - Opinions?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gunnar Þór, Sep 3, 2002.

1. I tried a Hohner B-Bass at the store unplugged the other day and was pretty impressed for the price, it's a neck-through bass and the neck handles pretty good and it feels right. I'm going back soon to plug it in and give it an extended test, but in the meantime I'd like your opinions on it, is it durable and how does it hold up long term vise?

(The one in the store has natural finish)

• EMG pups
    • Active electronics
    • Maple neck
    • Rosewood fingerboard
    • Maple body
    • Detunable Steinberger bridge
    • 34" neck
  2. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I played one of these basses several years ago and was quite impressed. Had I not decided that I definitely wanted to purchase a six-string bass, this was a strong contender. It was some time ago (5+ years) and I didn't get the Hohner so I can't comment on either their longievity or the current state of their electronics and other options but the time I spent in the shop trying it out was enough for it to still stick in my mind with a positive glow ;)

I think I was impressed by the design and the lack of unnecessary bulk. The detuning bridge was also an attraction. As I recall, the playability was good and it can't have sounded too bad.

Do post back once you've given it your extended test. I'd be interested to hear how you get on.

3. Jerry, Jr.

Jerry, Jr.

Jun 7, 2002
    Boston, MA
    Hey Gunnar,

I have a Hohner B Bass V. I purchased it used back in February. It is the same as the one you have pictured, only the 5 string version.

I am very pleased with this bass. It has become my main axe since the day I bought it. Definitely the slimmest neck of any 5 string bass I've played.
  4. Well I went and gave it an extended test today. First with eq set to middle on all and both pups on full blast, then each pup, then active with same pup configuration. And then found a nice growl tone with the neck pup on full and the bridge one rolled a bit back, passive, further enhanced by eq settings on the amp (Yorkville 210 combo).

"Yeah, and?"

It's great. Sustains forever, properly eq-ed it's got more growl than a bulldog, and if you solo the neck pup and play closer to the neck in passive mode you've got yourself a mean jazz tone. Me likey. :)

And I can afford it. *Doublesmiley* :) :)

"And, so?"

I'll think about it. Hard. Make a decision by the end of the weekend.
  5. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

It's a great bass, especially for this price.
    I have this Steinberger bridge on my own bass and it rocks.
    I only have 1 minus, the glued headstock puts down the neckthru effort.
  6. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    The first 6 string I owned was a Hohner B-Bass VI.. EXCELLENT BASS!! It was the walnut model and i was very pleased with it... I had it for about 7 years before I sold it.
  7. rickreyn

rickreyn Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Had a Hohner four that detuned to B and a Hohner B bass. Very underrated. Great bass for the money and neck through to boot. I upgraded mine with EMG electronics and then it was the sky's the limit. My first really nice bass.
  8. Well, looks like we've got a contender. Just talked to a clerk at an instrument store and they're getting tired of not being able to sell the Reverend Rumblefish they've got and are offering it for a discount, bringing the price of it from circa $900 to a comparable price of the Hohner. Guess it's time to go and try out the Reverend again. More to come tomorrow. :)

(This may sound expensive to some of you, remember this is Iceland we're talking about. Everything's expensive and instruments doubly so.)
  9. Would you say that $350 for a B bass VI in pristine condition is a decent price? I'm debating on picking this guy up. Comments? 20150308_111021.jpg 20150308_111101.jpg
  10. Shifty Bill Richards

Shifty Bill Richards

Mar 19, 2015
    The Los Lonely Boys' Bass player always played a Hohner 6 string. They were quite successful, and I imagine he could have had any bass he wanted.
  11. Belka

Dec 10, 2003
    Kiev, Ukraine
    I always thought these basses were good. I actually ordered a six string way back in about '98, but there were none in the UK at the time, and when they offered me the five I decided to go with a StingRay 5 instead.

Do the newer ones still have the red LED to show the active mode is engaged?
  12. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    received a gift from Sire, not an "endorsing artist" though.
    Looks very solid.
  13. I just noticed the component cover screws are all out of place. Looks like he may have stripped them out then added new screws in the middle? Think it's worth $350? (I've never owned a 6. I've always played a 5... I'm excited to "C" what it's all about. [Very punny])
  14. Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Yes! Hohner basses are terrific for the money they go for these days. I had a Hohner Phoenix with similar electronics and pickups. Terrific sound, really sorry I traded it. Great neck and construction quality far exceeds anything else I had that sold for the price. Realize though that these basses sold for far more new in their days. I don't think they make basses any more (I don't think they make their headless basses anymore either) from what I understand because their margin for profit was so minimal. They put a lot of work into their basses without cutting corners.
    My Phoenix showed it- solidly built and the sound was exceptional. Currently a Hohner Phoenix on the GC used site btw- too bad I can't buy another bass or I'd grab it.
    That bass you have in your post is active/passive meaning it will work even without a battery in it.

Note: GC has a few used Hohner basses
    a Hohner B V string for $299
    a Hohner Phoenix 4 for $299 (note- this has a bolt on neck)

To the left is the Phoenix, on the right, the Hohner B V
    Screen shot 2015-03-21 at 6.44.49 PM.png
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
  15. Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    I don't think they make them anymore but the Hohner basses I had (headless and the phoenix) yes, the light is on when active. Also if the battery dies or if you remove the battery, the bass will still work but in passive mode.
  16. JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    I really like the BBass VI that I picked up as a pawn-shop special. The electronics didn't work, the tuners all mis-matched, bridge plating worn- had been used/abused but was still solid, and all the wood was like new. I replaced the bridge with individual tuners, installed an Aguilar OBP3PP, replaced the tuners, and left the original active split-coil soapbars. Plays, sounds great, only 10,5# for an all maple 6'er. These were made by Cort/Korea, and bridge, pickups (ADX6), and prob tuners are same as mid 90's Ibanez SR506 (but bolt-on). The neck feels the same, too. I think they are very good quality, especially for the price. I've got about $350 in mine, including the bag.
    As far as the control plate screws- the center screws hold the trim-pot for the active/passive (actually preamp bypass) switch/function. I have this same preamp in another Hohner 5-string and it's very versatile. No issues with it. I think it's the same one they sourced for the Steinbergers that had the switch and LED. Cort used the same sourced parts in basses made for different Companies.
    As mine is now: