1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hohner B2ADB steinberger style bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Aug 12, 2005.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Well, I think I have solved my issue of finding a light bass. I won an auction on ebay for a Hohner B2ADB for $109. Not bad considering the MSRP is $850. It sold for cheap partly b/c it doesnt have any pickups. But I have seen a few EMGs for around $40-50.

Would the
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]EMG-35P4 do well for this bass? I am looking for pickups that give decent low-end. Also, whatever pickups I put in should be higher-end, not junk. I also prefer as vintage a tone as possible. And yes, I know a steinberger copy will not give me much in the way of vintage tone at all, but as pickups are one of the main factors in tone, I would like to get a set that are as vintage sounding as possible.

I bought this bass almost entirely because of its light-weight and easy portability. I dont drive so portability is very important to me. If this thing sounds crapola I can bring my Geddy Jazz to gigs and just use this for practice. Anyway since I got a good deal on this I think I could re-sell it and break even, maybe make a small profit.

I wanted to try one of these, but they are not sold locally in any store I have seen. I wanted to see if the reach issues (F on the E string etc) balance and other idosyncrasies are something I can live with. If not just re-sell it. With the price I paid I think its a worthwhile experiment for someone like me who needs a light bass.

So EMG-35P4 pickups???

[/font]

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Actually, EMG-HBs are more likely to fit - wait until it gets here and measure.

HBs are the size of a guitar humbucker and are what is used in most original Steinbergers and Steinie Spirits. Your Hohner should be the same.

3. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    thanks!