Hohner B2ADB steinberger style bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Aug 12, 2005.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Well, I think I have solved my issue of finding a light bass. I won an auction on ebay for a Hohner B2ADB for $109. Not bad considering the MSRP is $850. It sold for cheap partly b/c it doesnt have any pickups. But I have seen a few EMGs for around $40-50.

Would the
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]EMG-35P4 do well for this bass? I am looking for pickups that give decent low-end. Also, whatever pickups I put in should be higher-end, not junk. I also prefer as vintage a tone as possible. And yes, I know a steinberger copy will not give me much in the way of vintage tone at all, but as pickups are one of the main factors in tone, I would like to get a set that are as vintage sounding as possible.

I bought this bass almost entirely because of its light-weight and easy portability. I dont drive so portability is very important to me. If this thing sounds crapola I can bring my Geddy Jazz to gigs and just use this for practice. Anyway since I got a good deal on this I think I could re-sell it and break even, maybe make a small profit.

I wanted to try one of these, but they are not sold locally in any store I have seen. I wanted to see if the reach issues (F on the E string etc) balance and other idosyncrasies are something I can live with. If not just re-sell it. With the price I paid I think its a worthwhile experiment for someone like me who needs a light bass.

So EMG-35P4 pickups???

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Actually, EMG-HBs are more likely to fit - wait until it gets here and measure.

HBs are the size of a guitar humbucker and are what is used in most original Steinbergers and Steinie Spirits. Your Hohner should be the same.