Hohner B2B comments needed.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by philthygeezer, Sep 14, 2004.

1. philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    I'm considering one of the Steinberger - licensed Hohner B2B basses with a hard case for travel. I intend to put a Bartolini P-J set I have kicking around in it.

How is the build quality on these things? How do they compare with the Steinberger Spirits? Please comment if you have owned or tried a Hohner Steinberger copy.

Thanks much!
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Used to own a Hohner B2Adb. Was a great bass. If the build quality of the B2B is the same as the B2A, and the only difference is the pickups/electronics, you'll have a great bass. No complaints, was built very well.
  3. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    had one of the hohner jack V basses. HEadless. Great playing, good sounding and built pretty well. HAd to give it up as it was just taking space, but I'd say they are a well made lower end bass.
  4. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    I also own a B2ADB and it's a great bass for the money. I'd suggest you try and pick up one of these or the B2A. The B2B is a bolt-on and may/may not be of the same quality. Try both if you can get the chance, and see which you like better.
  5. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ah yes thats true, the B2B is bolt on... everything about it seems..worse. Id go for a B2A.
  6. joninjapan

Aug 13, 2003
    Tokyo, Japan
    I own a 15 year old B2B, it is not a bolt-on. It is a prized bass, by far the best bass to travel with! I still have my eyes out for the rare fretless version.
    I bought it new for about $300, here in Tokyo, I can still get that for it... go figure. :)

It has a great tonal varity, smoother than the real Steinberger... and the $$ savings! Everyone should have one. :hyper:
  7. I've got a B2A.
    a great bass for travelling, also for cramped gigs.
    it does tend to tire my arms more than my P bass- probably due to the lack of a top horn and as result the end of the neck being further away,
    and the string spacing being tighter at both the nut (J bass width) and at the bridge (17.5/18mm)
  8. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    My comment about it being bolt-on was from the Hohner site. The older ones must be different.
    If you don't mind drilling a couple of small holes in the back of it, a strap pin extension like on the NS Stick works wonders. Easy to fabricate too.
  9. philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    I don't really have a problem with bolt-on. Heck; my Stingray is a bolt-on and it sounds good.

If the fit and finsh quality is the same I'd just as soon go for the passive P-J design in a travel bass.
  10. Peter Weil

Peter Weil Seeker of The New Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I used to own one. Sold it for the money. Regretted it rather a lot.

I think it's a great bass with a great passive sound. (I also reviewed it on www.bgra.net.) You may not even need to change the pickups - the sound was great with the standard ones. I wonder who makes them?

I thought the sound was very similar to an active Warwick Stage I Streamer I owned at the time (both basses have all-maple construction). Hence, I actually got rid of the Streamer and traded it for a Thumb (!) as I already had a bass which could get 'that sound'.

I've actually been looking at buying another one as money troubles have eased - I loved that P-J combination. Good general fingerstyle tone, good slap tone, and that bridge pickup 'Jaco' tone could all be had. Suitable for rock/pop/funk and jazz, which is what I was doing at that time.

I wonder if that strap modification that Dharmabass posted about would be worthwhile. That was my main problem - how the bass hung slightly 'distant' when I was standing. I got around it by running my strap over the front of the bass to adjust how it hung and was supported. Worked well.

Never tried a B2A. Looks like a great instrument. But my B2B was a bolt-on and did everything I wanted. Plus I'm a fan of passive pickups.

Hope that helps.
  11. ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    I'm planning on getting one of those basses as soon as money permits. I love how they look and the weight will be so sweet to my shoulder! Not to mention the sound.
  12. I know this is an old one, but did you ever do the pickup mod? How did it turn out? Big difference?