Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hohner Fretless - any info?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Brooks, Nov 22, 2002.

1. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Still on my pic-posting spree! This is a '70s Hohner fretless that I picked up real cheap on eBay. I bought it as a project bass, to mess around with. It seems to be all-maple. Top is about 1/2" thick. Neck has tilt adjustment, and there is a center block down the body.

If anyone can identify this bass, please let me know what it is.

I intend to restore it and do a refin as the body is pretty banged up. Like my Rick Turner Electroline, this one also partial fretlines under the E-string.

2. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Pickups are single coil, with very nice, woody sound. Since neck is quite short, and pups are towards the neck, I awas thinking of installing a Bart Rickenbacker replacement bridge pup close to the bridge.

That pup would visually match the other two pups, and give the bass some 'bite'

3. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Back of the bass. HUGE cavity cover, but very comfy.

4. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Back with partial ebony fret lines.

5. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Headstock

6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    When you like the sound, why do you want to ruin the bass by installing new pickups?

7. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I don't want to install new pickups - I want to add one more pickup, close to the bridge. I would install a 5-position switch (kinda like a Strat) to allow me to select which pups are used.

8. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I was hoping that one of our German members would be able to identify this model - all I know is that it is a Hohner. Any takers?