Hohner fretless J

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by flywheel, Jun 16, 2004.

1. flywheel

Jul 9, 2003
    Shawnee, KS
    I'm entertaining the idea of getting my first fretless bass. I understand that Hohner makes a pretty decent Fender clone. Anyone know anything about this bass http://www.bassnw.com/Used Basses/hohner_jazz_fretless_4_st.htm

I'm thinking of picking it up b/c of the decent price and I could figure out if I even like playing fretless w/o too much investment.
  2. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    I don't know much about Hohner basses, but judging by the photos it looks like it's in pretty good shape. Phenolic fretboard is nice too-you can use roundwounds without being too concerned about wear-much better "mwah" IMHO. I'd go for it before someone else here does! You can always resell it for the same price if you don't like fretless. What do you have to lose? :bassist:
  3. flywheel

Jul 9, 2003
    Shawnee, KS
    that's what I was thinking. I should be able to sell it for the same price. Hohner's don't seem to do too bad on eBay when people sell there. Plus I've really been wanting a white bass w/ tort guard. I love that look.
  4. Oddly enough I was just playing on a Hohner acoustic bass about 1 hour ago. There was one hiding in a case where I work and I just found out about it. It was excellent all round and made me wonder why you don't see more of them. Neck great. Action great. Constucion great. Sound great - acoustically and amplified. I've only read good things about Hohner also.
  5. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I've owned one before.. Good bass for the money.