1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD Hohner Professional "The Jack" headless, neck-through bass *PRICE DROP $325*

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by phishaholik, Mar 19, 2018.

1. phishaholik

phishaholik Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Price:
    $399
    Strings:
    I picked this little beauty up recently and it's been a ton of fun to play. I'm finding myself overwhelmed with the amount of basses I own and I'm coming to terms with the fact that I am really just a passive P-bass guy. So, long story short, I'm going to letting my active basses go to finance a new passive Precision.

The bass has a 3-piece neck through and Steinberger licensed hardware. It's in great shape for being around 30 years old, just a some nicks here and there. Overall, someone really took care of it. It even has the original sticker on the battery box. The pickups are Hohner branded EMG selects from what I've read and it has a 2 band preamp. I went over the whole bass, cleaned every nook and cranny, oiled the fingerboard, put a new battery in and installed a new set of GHS ss double-ball strings. The bridge works smoothly, the double-ball strings are a blessing to change and the bass is ready to go!

Some of my favourite features are:

Absolutely zero neck dive on a strap. This might be the most comfortable bass on a strap that I've had.

The second great thing, is NO DEADSPOTS! Even all of my boutique basses in the past had dead spots on the g-string, but not this bass.

Finally, it's short and fits in a guitar gigbag while still having a 34" scale.

Price: $399 plus shipping.

PRICE DROP: $325 PLUS SHIPPING

IMG_1160. thumbnail_IMG_1163.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  2. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    That's pretty cool. Are there any sound clips, or could you describe its tone/vibe at all?

3. phishaholik

Aug 20, 2005
    Portland, Oregon

The pickups are pretty "midrangey" on their own, but the preamp has some very thick lows and sparkly highs. The preamp is boost only, so I usually use it compensate for the innate midrange in the pickups, if that makes any sense. I have been running the bass using the neck pickup with lows and highs boosted substantially and it has a nice even tone with thick lows while still being articulate. It's different in that I wouldn't call the unboosted tone flat, or would I run it that way.

It is very versatile and I originally was planning on swapping out the electronics for current EMG stuff, but after I set the pickup height I found that I love the tone and there's no need for an upgrade.

Edit: I guess an easy way to describe the tone is very similar to a full EMG setup; modern with all frequencies represented, depending on settings.

Michael

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
    InhumanResource likes this.
  4. kinopah

kinopah

Oct 19, 2014
    These are so underrated. I still have a Hohner B Bass from when I was in college. But the Jack was the best bass they made. Those necks were rock solid and super comfy. GLWS!

phishaholik likes this.
  5. Tmh2oson

Tmh2oson

Apr 25, 2014
    Stokesdale, NC
    Watterson Guitars
    Any trade interests? I’ve got some pedals if you’re interested.

phishaholik likes this.
  6. Cutter8

Cutter8 Admittedly in need of adult supervision... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2018
    Georgia
    What is the string spacing at the bridge?

phishaholik likes this.
  7. phishaholik

Aug 20, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    I really need the money, but feel free to PM me any trade offers. There are a few pedals that I'm looking for.

It looks like right about 18.5mm to 19mm to me.

Thanks for the questions!

Michael

8. ronin614

ronin614

May 15, 2008
    New York
    ** I am prefacing my comments with the caveat that I have no affiliation with the seller. **

Take a look at the prices that these are going for on eBay and Reverb. This is a pretty good price for a great bass. If I had the cash, I would absolutely buy it.

Phishaholik, You might want to also post this on the “headless club” page. These have a lot of fans over there, myself included. Headless Club???

phishaholik likes this.
  9. phishaholik

Aug 20, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Thanks man, I've honestly been having severe second thoughts on letting this one go. It really is a gem of a little bass.

I measured the nut width last nut and it's less than a jazz at 1 7/16" and it weighs only 7.5 pounds. It's ticking too many boxes for me, so if I can afford to keep it, I will.

Michael

ronin614 likes this.
  10. phishaholik

Aug 20, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    I just got a $400 ER bill, so I need to move this. Price drop to $325 plus actual shipping.

Michael

11. Pug the Pig

Pug the Pig Banned

Mar 21, 2018
    London
    I can also confirm 100% that these are great, I used one for loads of gigs in the early 2000s..a really cool, 'easy to live with' bass, and they sound great too..highly recommended..

phishaholik likes this.
  12. phishaholik

Aug 20, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Thanks man, these really are great basses. If any of y'all see one in the future I would definitely try and pick it up, because this one is SOLD.

Michael

Jeff Elkins and Pug the Pig like this.