Holbein Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by GeneralElectric, Jul 7, 2008.

1. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Howdy DBers,

I don't post here much (maybe once or twice ever) and I'm coming here for your advice. I played double bass in High School and now I'm in college and without my own DB. To be honest, I wasn't very good in high school but I loved playing it!

My goal for the year is to find myself a teacher and to do that I'd need my own bass. I've decided to steer clear of EUBs since I can't get used to the lack of body (and therefore don't have any reference points!)

To get a bass I've been scouring CL even though I'd love an Upton, I just physically don't have the funds for one. I saw this one on the local CL:

http://newyork.craigslist.org/que/msg/745901255.html

I've never heard of Holbein basses before though (not that I know of any major DB makers anyway) so I was wondering if this was a good price.

Is this a good DB for the money either?

I had planned on getting a relatively cheap one to learn and practice on and save up for a bottom of the line Upton bass (and then upgrade throughout the Upton line, thank goodness for their trade in policies!) I know that, unfortunately, in the DB world, you get what you pay for and $1000 is skimming the bottom of the barrel. But after I get the Upton (maybe 2-3 years down the road, depending on my finances) I now have a cheap beater that I can go busking with!:D

Any advice on this though? Good deal or not? Talk him down?:help:

Sorry for the rambling post.:meh:

2. uprightben

uprightben

Nov 3, 2006
    Boone, NC
    If David Gage set it up, why not contact him to get some info on that bass? He is a nationally known DB luthier and that's exactly the kind of person you would need to evaluate any DB you were thinking of buying. Quality, sound, payability, state of repair/disrepair and value can only be guessed at on forums like this.

3. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Would David Gage remember every bass that came into his shop? I'm sure he's had tons of business, and I'm still waiting to hear from the seller.

4. robobass

robobass

Aug 1, 2005
    Cologne, Germany
    Private Inventor - Bass Capos
    Didn't Holbein paint the famous portrait of Henry VIII? Call Gage. With a name as interesting as this, someone in the shop would remember the bass, if only for the unusual name.
    Robobass

Plutonium244 likes this.
  5. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Not sure if he painted it, but apparently these basses were made for and sold by Sam Ash. Its a moot point though, the seller sold the bass already. :meh:

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 5, 2021