Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hold 'em, anyone?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by canopener, May 22, 2004.

1. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    With the rise in popularity of Texas Hold 'em since last fall or so, I've been playing a lot more poker. Don't ask me why, but one of my friends got into it and drug us all along, because we really hadn't anything else better to do, anyway.

Has the poker bug bit anyone else on TB? We usually play once or twice a week, and I'm getting stoked to play tonight. For the most part, we're pretty much even between ourselves, but we usually clean house when we play with other groups...

2. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Yessir.

I started playing this January with a bunch of people in my dorm. We played at least once weekly, usually a $5 buy in. We'd occasionally play tournaments too.

I love it, even though I'm not that good at it. It's a very relaxing game to play among friends.

3. i haven't played poker in about four years. last time, i took a pot of about $800 on texas hold em. i spent it all on beer. poverty has had the better of me since.

4. Yep.
    A bunch of my friends got into it about 3 or 4 months ago and invited me to join them. We've been playing ever since. Well, we haven't played in about 3 weeks or so, but that's largely due to people graduating and their families being in town for graduation and everything. But at one point we were playing 3 - 5 days out of the week. One of the guys bought some really nice chips, and another recently won a bunch of money in Vegas, so we could be seeing a new poker table in his apartment soon, too.

Typical buy in for us is $30 with an $8 limit. Yeah, we play limit, but we all figure that the possibility of losing $30+ in one hand isn't really too appealing.

5. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    If you guys want me to set up a table on yahoo games... just hit me back.

6. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Man, I love me a good hand of Texas Hold 'Em. My friends and I regularly poker- Hold Em is the mainstay, but we play pretty much everthing- Night Baseball, Black Mariah, Three Card Monte, Criss Cross, stud, draw- the whole shebang.

I've been working on my game, but haven't been doing too good lately.

7. Hold 'Em, hell yes!

My friend has been holding weekly games for the past couple years or so; I go through periods of playing every week and deciding I'm losing too much money to play for a while. Right now I've decided that the regular group at that game is too good for me so I'm looking for a some less-talented players to beat ;), but he's definitely got a well-planned game going. It's $1/$2 limit most of the time, $40 buy-in, and games often go all night. I'll also play $5 or $10 no-limit freezeouts fairly often when it's just a couple of us hanging out and we're bored.

I'm borrowing a few books right now to improve my game, because right now I suck compared to most people I play with, and that's an expensive way to play. On the flipside, the guy who holds the aforementioned game is kinda living the life of a pro; he plays almost every night and regularly plays in games like $4/8, 5/10, even 10/20 sometimes :eek: ...his own game is just fun for him, which bugs me to no end.

hateater, are Yahoo poker games for money or are they free? My friend was telling me about a site where you can play for pennies or something; that would be better than free because at least the game means something, ya know?

8. Emerald_gasH

Emerald_gasH

Sep 17, 2000
    TO,ON,CA
    yeh i've started playing...ever since my bro's been teaching me not too long ago....

on the plus side, i won my first two games against him and he was seriously playing....but on the bad side we weren't playing with real money...

but i did win 25 cents...and then consequently lost them so i don't owe anything...i wanted those 25 cents :'(...

but seeing as most of my friends are girls like me, none even know how to play...we mostly play big 2/president if we're bored enough

9. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    You want to have some fun at poker--try playing with a pinochle deck. ;)

10. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Poker bug bit me about 25 years ago. Got especially potent after I started visiting my parents here in Vegas in '84 and I later moved here in '88.

Games that used to be played here were:
    5 draw
    Pinapple (Texas Hold'em with 3 hole cards, one discarded before the flop)
    Crazy Pinapple (Same game with the 3rd card discarded after the flop)
    Omaha & Omaha Hi/Low split (Basically Hold 'em with 4 hole cards where only 2 must be used to make a given hand with 3 of the community cards)
    7 Card Stud

Hold'em has been the mainstay for about the last 10 to 15 years, but 7 Stud, and to a lesser degree, Omaha are still popular and spread in several rooms.

I don't play the live game so much, but have done extremely well in tournaments, winning or taking a money spot in about 50% of them I enter.

11. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    my friends and I got into it on a 25 hour bus ride to/from halifax and have been playing occassionally since

hold-em is great fun!

12. bentem

bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    I played poker all the time earlier this year, but not so much anymore. Its a lot of fun. we usuallyu played 5$ min buy in, 2 dollar limit, or tourneys.

I itnhk the rise of popularity of texas holdem has sometihng to do with the movie rounders, the world series of poker, adn now these celebrety poker shows.

One of my friends that i used to play poker with got realy into those online casoinos, almost obsessed. but he cashed out twice, once for 500, adn once for 1000, but he had absolutley no life for a few months there

13. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    No. I spend my money on something else that is more related to this forum... ;)

14. Any other non-Americans find that sentence perplexing and then funny once they figured out what the hell it meant?

Leigh

15. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I opened my eyes a bit wider till I got to the end of the sentence - does that count? :D

16. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    BTW, you should get used to bad spelling and typos ;)

17. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Do you say dragged down under?

18. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Yep, according to the English grammar, the past form of drag is dragged.
    What nonsense! :rolleyes: y doz inglish hav 2 b soo damm hard? this iz stooped. :rollno:

j/k
    :D

19. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Not technically correct grammar, but then again most SLANG isn't.
    Get over it guys.

20. Ace123

Ace123

Sep 25, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    Hold Em is so good. I play online with Party Poker (Do yourselves a favor and get this or Truepoker) and i play with my friends about once a week, $10 buy in no limit. I probably win about 1/4 of the time and i'm about even since when i started to play. I love it but our games take so long cause you put out a $1 bet and everyone folds. Oh well, that just means i'm at someone's house all night.

Poker on!