Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hold Music

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bassman314, Jun 10, 2005.

1. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    So I'm sitting at my desk at work on hold with a doctor's office...

There has got to be a law against bad quality Hold Music...

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    That's telephones for you really. Though I'm sure some of those hold music systems use cheap tapes, speakers, methods to broadcast the music through the phone, even if they were doing a very clean and high quality transfer, it'd still end up sounding like gunk. It's easy to compress the human voice pretty heavily and still understand what someone is saying, but music has much quicker breaking point. shrug, I was never fond of any hold music really.

3. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    *L* it's 80's crap songs.. "adult contemporary"... makes me wanna hurl.. I don't want to listen to a "Love Songs of the 70's and 80's" collection in my headset

I don't mind some Mozart.. or jazz or something I can kinda groove to...

4. My mom's work just puts the phone down next to a lil stereo on the classic rock station.

5. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    I hate that too...I'd rather have dead air.

On a similar note, there's an Investment Company across the street from my store and they always BLAST the local adult contemporary radio station through their crappy outdoor speakers. I can't enjoy having the doors open in the summer because of it...I think I'm going to call the cops and complain about the noise.

:eyebrow: That's gotta be a first...a guitar store calling and complaining to the cops about how the neighboring investment house plays their music too loud :eyebrow:

6. bassman314

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    naaah.. set-up outdoor speakers and have stereo wars. *L* better yet.. do a live performance during wednesday lunch *LOL*

Musicians will always win music battles... we know how to fight dirty!!

7. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    You might be on to something here Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm