1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hold out for fusion?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Time Consumer, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Time Consumer

Time Consumer

Jan 27, 2008
    Joliet Ill.
    I've been saving up to get a gk 1001 rb-II, but now the Fusion 550 is coming out and im thinking I should pick that up instead since the price difference isnt that big, plus its got the tube preamp, but I haven't had much experiance with hybrids, can anyone tell me how it might sound.

2. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Sure. Something like this

3. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    The 1001RB-II is only 2 rack spaces, whereas the Fusion 550 is 3 and considerably heavier... Just something to consider...

4. kirkm24

kirkm24

Jan 1, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    Wow. That sounds really nice. Of course anything Brandino plays is going to sound good. ;)

5. SwitchGear

SwitchGear Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2005
    Wisconsin
    If the new Fusion takes the tubeish, warm thing to a new level as compared to the current RB lineup, the extra space and weight may well be worth it. If that type of tone is your thing, that is.

I am interested in how the Fusion sounds myself.

6. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I realize that personal tastes vary and tone is very subjective, but my RB series amp (2001RB) is capable of VERY warm tones. Definitely not tubeish, but definitely warm.

7. Whats wrong with that guy?(head Jerking is odd):confused:

8. Zildjian106

Zildjian106

Apr 8, 2007

Are you serious? :rolleyes:

9. yes i am

why is there something i should Know?

10. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    i thought he was having a seizure!

anyways, ask a noob question time

how much are they charging for the fusion? Might have to sell my 1001!

11. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    $899 but I'm sure that RMC will be a little lower.

12. Somehow there has been 2 Fusion threads today......here is what I posted in the other one:

"This Fusion 550 is turning into a bit of a joke IMO. GK is advertising it now in Bass Player, they announced...oh....I dunno.......2 years ago but it seems like 5 and now they are back ordered because GK doesn't have all the parts??? Yes they want to get it right but when it was originally announced a couple of years ago one would assume at that point that it was almost ready for release. Seems like GK were actually just starting to engineer it. Yes I am flaming GK a bit but my rig is GK head and cabs so I feel I am entitled too a little bit. "

The back order is referring to Musicians Friend (pretty sure it was MF anyways) who are taking orders but immediatley labelled as back ordered.

Up to you to decide. :)

13. kirkm24

kirkm24

Jan 1, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    I don't want to jeoparidize RMC's dealership agreement with GK but I checked on the pricing and it is cheaper about 1/9th less. I am very tempted to place a pre-order, I liked my GK gear when I had it and had patiently been waiting for this head but out of protest for their excessive prolonging decided to forget about it. Maybe the best thing for me to do is wait till some reviews come out on it a and see if any users are having any glitches or QC problems with it.

14. +1 to those sentiments. I am using a 1001RB-II but I pretty much have to stop myself everyday from ordering a Genz GBE 750. Have desire to try something else; especially a hybrid type of a head.

15. ElizabethC

ElizabethC

Aug 24, 2007
    New York City
    I would do the same as well. As much as I love GK (and I think quite a number here can definitely testify to how much I love GK), I think it would be wise to wait it out at least a few months before jumping on board with the Fusion 550. As with many other amps, there are bound to be some user dislikes (or even glitches) in the future that the company could not have tested or taken notice of until the amp was released to the public.

Also, take a look at a lot of other products Gallien-Krueger has come out with. When the 2001RB first was released, you would hear reports of it lighting up or even catching fire on stage. Terrible problem back then! Now, they've upgraded the system, have fixed all of those problems, and even added the horn management system. I rarely ever hear complaints about the newer 2001RB from people who own it.

Another one: the 1001RB and 700RB. GK originally used a different board for these amps, and there were many heating/frying problems reported. Now, they offer the 1001RB-II and 700RB-II (and are willing to upgrade the older models), and those amps have become some of the most talked about solid-state amps around.

So, all that said, I'm not bashing the company. I really do love GK's service and what they offer. But I'm just saying that it takes them a little bit before they get it "perfect" (or polished).

So, while the Fusion 550 looks great from pictures, there might be certain intricacies which you may not like once you have used the amp. If you want, wait it out a few months. If you can't wait that long, go with the 1001RB-II as you originally planned; then, later, re-evaluate whether it's worth it to add this amp to your rig or to switch to the Fusion 550 completely.