Holding router templates in place

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Josh Curry, Dec 7, 2004.

1. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    How do you guys hold your router templates in place? Obviously clamps are a good idea except that they get in the way with most templates. I've tried using permanent sticky craft glue dots, which work good, but can flex a bit. Do you guys have a secret adhesive or double stick tape that works really good for holding templates firmly in place but also won't rip the wood when removing it?
  2. Tim Barber

Tim Barber Commercial User

Apr 28, 2003
    Serenity Valley
    Owner: Barber Music
    The double-stick tape Stewart-MacDonald sells works very well but is expensive. I have had pretty good luck with regular double-stick carpet tape from the hardware store. Don't use too much though, or you might break your template trying to remove it. Not that I have ever done that :rollno:
  3. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    Cool, thanks. I am more worried about pulling up wood from my actual working piece.
  4. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    Stew mac stuff works great and a roll lasts forever.....t
  5. teacherguy

Feb 21, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    I bought a roll of double-sided tape at Woodcraft which is 10 minutes away from me. Works great!

6. RyanHelms

Sep 20, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    I have extremely good luck with carpet tape attached to the template. Adhesive backed non-slip padding. The downward pressure of the router is enough to keep the template in place without any adhesion to the body wood. Just go slow.

Does anyone else use commercial templates with countersunk screw holes in the corners? Would you actually mount the template if a pickguard will cover the area? I wouldn't....
  7. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    Pickguard I don't need no stinkin' pickguard. No I wouldn't either...t
  8. Scott French

Scott French Dude Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Grass Valley, CA
    If you're worried about the tape not letting go a little naptha will loosen it right up.
  9. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    Double sided masking tape. It seems like it's getting harder to find. The hardware stores don't seem to carry it, at least not around here. I tried some double sided duct tape. It works, but I prefer masking tape. If you're worried about it being too sticky lightly press it to your clothes first and then apply it to the wood you're routing.

Which reminds me, I need to order some.
  10. I use a couple short brads. just to the left and right of the detail...sink them a bit... then when I'm done, hold the body with your hand, and tap the template away.
  11. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    Cool guys, thanks :) I will give some of these a try.
  12. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    I use double-sided radio control car (and airplane) foam servo tape. Available at any hobby shop, and REALLY sticks!
  13. PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    the PLASTIC LIGHT DUTY carpet tape, i like alot.

just make sure the peice is nice and clean before applying, otherwise you can have some nice torn to shred templates.