Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hole in one question

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Andy Flees, Aug 5, 2003.

1. Suppose that during a game of golf, you hit the ball off the tee, it lands in the cup, strikes the bottom, and bounces out. I'm not up on the latest golf rules, but would this count as a whole in one, or not? Thanks for any insight.

2. Nope, that would not be a hole-in-one. The ball has to come to rest in the cup and stay there. I read a similar question recently about a scenario where you hit a tee shot and it lands halfway in the cup -- lodged between the flagstick and the hole. That wouldn't be a hole-in-one, either.

3. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    That depends. Here's the rule:

If the ball comes to rest against the flagstick when it is in the hole, the player or another person authorized by the player may move or remove the flagstick. If the ball falls into the hole, the player shall be deemed to have holed out with the last stroke; otherwise, the ball, if moved, shall be replaced on the lip of the hole, without penalty.

4. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
  5. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Rule 17-4 is the rule I cited earlier.

6. Thanks for the clarification. I hope someday I'll get to use that on the course!

7. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    That only applies to shots from off the green. It's a 2 stroke penalty if the ball hits the flagstick on shots from on the putting surface. The same 2 stroke penalty applies if the ball hits the flagstick and you had asked for the flagstick to be attended, on or off the green.