1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

hole in the board

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by vic_6, Apr 21, 2006.

1. vic_6

vic_6

Dec 19, 2004
    Manila, Philippines
    my friend's got a hole on his fretboard. it's pretty old jazz. 1980 i think. he had just bought it a few months ago and well, he never noticed it till recently. it looks like it started as a scratch then just opened up or something...

any ideas on what to do with something like this?
    thanks!

vic

2. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    my maple fb ibanez is a similar vintage, and I have just let it be... I think it looks gnarly and autentic....

3. Take some saw dust, and mix it with just a touch of glue and fill in the hole. Something like this should work, but if I was your friend, I'd take it to a luthier. Or, go ask what to do over in the luthier's corner of this forum.

4. vic_6

vic_6

Dec 19, 2004
    Manila, Philippines
    you guys think this could get worse?

joejnyc: hey man.. uh dont you think you should get it coated or or sealed or something? wouldnt it get worse if you just leave it alone?

my friend does plan to bring it to a luthier but then, he's broke right now... so i thought maybe someone on here would know an easy n cheap fix.

vic

5. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    vic: well, yeah, it is kind of getting worse. I see it just as the fb wearing in. wear marks under those bread and butter notes in the first position. More mojo in the bass, you know?

Granted, as an '81 Ibanez Roadstar, It is semi- vintage, but it's a definite player, not an investment. One of these days I'll get the old frets re-done and see what the tech says about it, but I dig it for now.