1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hole plug - seems to diminish high notes...suggestions?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by basspraiser, Oct 27, 2013.

1. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    This week at church, I was "all acoustic" with my MK Dragonfly 5 and my Turner Ren 5 fretless.

Just got a rubber hole plug for my MK to diminish any potential feedback issues BUT the rubber really deadened the vibration of the body....not a huge deal on the lows and mids but my G sting is pretty much useless now (it was quiet to begin with but now is not audible)....

Any one have similar issues and/or suggestions?

Thanks... peace and keep on jammin'!

2. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    Rotate it in the hole so that it sits a little differently? Try that sounghole port thingy instead? See if feedback is manageable without it?

3. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    rotating it will not do any good...

the feedback is hard to figure out....the acoustics and positioning change quite a bit...

what "soundhole port thingie" are you talking about?

I am interested...

4. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
  5. grisezd

grisezd

Oct 14, 2009
    Ohio
    Try it without a plug at all. I've gigged my cheap Ibanez in a moderately loud setting and, while I could get feedback, it wasn't a problem. I use a plug I cut from some dense foam (like they use in kayaks, or camping sleeping pads) in my really loud band with good success.

6. If feedback is an issue use an electric imo. I think you'd be surprised how loud you can get it without feeding back though.

7. SamanthaCay

SamanthaCay Like bass guitar OMG!

Nov 16, 2008
    Denver, CO.
    I had similar situation on an acoustic bass once only it was the bass side.

After some trouble shooting via a change of strings I ended up removing the saddle to get a better look at the piezo and it was obvious.

The under saddle unit was too short making it impossible to get a good tone on both the outer strings.
    Being I had a cheap stick on piezo, I stuck that under the bridge and to my surprise it sounded far better.

So with that If it where me I'd check under the saddle and see how it looks in there, maybe try moving it more to the G side if possible and if not try a new piezo.