hole size for pots?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by MacheteJames, Mar 8, 2004.

1. This is kind of an odd question, but I'm looking at picking up either an Aguilar OBP-3 or a Bartolini NTMB for my MTD Kingston 5. The Kingston has only two holes in it for pots, just volume and tone. I'll need to drill either one or two more holes. Is there a standard sized opening for pots? Does anyone know what it is?
  2. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    LOL. This is America, they don't mkae two of anything I don't think. Not only are there different pot diameters, there are different threads. And I can gaurantee, whatever you've got is WRONG!

Wait till you get the pots. But if I were you, since you've only got one pup, I'd try wiring either two stacked tones or a stacked tone and stacked volume. I say that knowing linear and audio pots are supposed to have a different taper but I know manufacturers have used audio pots for both, like EMG and Ibanez. Also, I have only run across one pot swapping that made any difference that I could tell in wiring up more than a dozen basses, and until I get another 50K linear, I can't really say it's the pot. But it's in a Bart NTMB.

By the way, just to check an MM config., I picked up an MM out of Kingston 4 and it's not a bad sounding pup at all. In fact I'm going to keep it till I get some others to try out before it moves on.
  3. For the record, the hole sizes I needed varied depending on the potentiometer. One of them required a hole about 10mm wide.. the other 2, holes about 9.2mm wide. It seems there really is no standard diameter for pot holes.

4. Yup, they have pot holes up to the size of a house around the streets of Boston.

Badump *crash*

Sorry, couldn't resist :D
  5. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    Actually for the most part I've only run across 3 maybe 4 different diameters, but when you throw thread and shaft variations into the mix it seems endless.

Turns out I had a 50K linear pot all along and it did make a difference in the Bart NTMB. Another K rating worked but the signal was extremely thin relative to the other pots. But that is the only pot swap I've been able to tell the difference so far. 1 out of 100 or more.

The reason all the houses in Boston have basements is cause they built them to cover the potholes.