Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hole too wide for Dunlop Straplock

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Captain Awesome, Sep 21, 2001.

1. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    Basically, I would like to install a Dunlop Strap-Lok pin on my bass, but the required screw for the Dunlop is narrower and has tighter threading than the stock screw that was in the bass.

I know there have been threads on this before, but what I need to know is what people who have had this problem do to fix it and their techniques explained in detail because I'm no hardware expert.

I would also like to know if I should leave the felt pad on, and if I could go back to the original setup if I mess with the strap pin hole and it still doesn't work.

:confused:

2. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Jez dude. i dont know, but you could try threding the new screw on a toothpick, like i do, if you strip a screw. alot of repairers and shops do this to fix a striped thred. it might work for what your talking about.

3. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    like just one toothpick or more?
    if the toothpick doesn't work will the hole be ruined?

4. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Well im sure all it would take is one toothpick. but if its a REALLY big hole, then i guess you could try two. But remember, this is a sugjestion, dont kill me if it doesnt work. and i dont think it will Mess up your hole that bad. what its does is rethred on the toothpick. making more space in between. making a new thred.

5. Use the old screw. Use the piece of felt over also. Works on all mine.

6. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    The cap of the old screw is too wide to work with the straplock pin.

7. Yep.. had the same problem with my EDC and Schalller straplock..

i took my Dremal-tool ( micro drill ) with a sanding-piece, and scrounged the cap a little smaller.. fits like a glove :)

8. What I do is I fit as many toothpicks in the hole as possible (2-3?) and then break them off where the end of the hole is. Then just put the screw back in.

9. This topic comes up so much maybe someone should right to Dunlop and Schaler and tell them to start putting toothpicks in the package.

10. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Of course you would have to pay extra for their new state of the art design. ;)

11. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I've had this problem, but I found the toothpick thing only works temporarily. Eventually they weaken nd screw gets loose. I ended up cutting little toothpick-sized pieces of hardwood, coating them with glue, and jamming in there real tight until it fills the entire hole. When it dries, drill a new hole in the middle slightly smaller than the screw you want to use.

12. If you want to be sure it will last forever.. you might also want to squirt some wood-glue in ( don't forget to whipe any leftovers off the bass after you've put the screw in )

13. Yea and they would have to reprint that packages to put a TP on it.

Dunlop Straplock 5000TP
    or
    Dunlop Straplock 5000 (for those who don't need the toothpicks)

:D

14. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    waiting for the glue to set before putting the screw in, right?

15. Freakapotamus9

Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    Nebraska
    i would try this before the toothpick. i also looked into the Schaller locks but the salesman told me for my bass i would have to do the "toothpick trick" or get a different screw or "sand" ( dont know a better word at the moment ) the cap of the old screw so it would fit. being the lazy person i am, i bought the Dunlop ones instead, cuz they would fit with the screw provided. :rolleyes: