Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Holes in back of headstock are too big for Tuning Key screws

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Philthy, Sep 20, 2004.

1. Philthy

Philthy Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2001
    Wallington, NJ
    I don't know where I should post this so I figured I'd try Setup. I was installing a new Hipshot bass Xtender on one of my basses and the mounting screw holes seem to be too big for the mounting screws. I tried the toothpick with wood glue technique and that didn't work. The screws are not biting. They just keep turning. So, my next attempt is that I used some woodfiller that I got from Home Depot last night and we'll see what happens later today. Is there any other suggestions that might be better than the woodfiller. I know that this part of the bass is a high stress area so I wanna make sure that this tuner will be very secure. Thanks for any help or advice!!!

2. You filled the hole with wood glue and toothpicks, you let the glue dry, and the screws still aren't grabbing? Doesn't sound physically possible. If you did it properly the screw should be turning into the toothpicks which are anchored into the side of the hole by the glue. Kind of like drilling a new hole. For that not to work all kinds of laws of physics would have to be suspended.

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    or he's turning the screw way too far.

4. Philthy

Philthy Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2001
    Wallington, NJ
    Well, I finally got it fixed. I went to home depot and bought some hard wood dowels. I used my Dremel to shave them down to size. I put some Elmers Carpenter's wood glue in the hole and then put in the shaved dowel. I let it dry over night, cut the exposed dowel wood so it was flush with the back of the head stock and then re-drilled my screw holes. PRESTO!!!!.....The screws bit and are in nice and tight and my tuner is secure.

5. Glad you got that straightened out. Now you have the experience doing that the next time you need a screw hole "tightened." :)