Holes in bass cab, bad?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bobbylon, Jan 24, 2023.

1. Bobbylon

Bobbylon Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2012
    Charleston, SC
    I have 2 Ampeg svt15 cabs. I replaced the speakers with some super light eminence speakers, took prob 15-20 lbs off. The speakers no longer need casters since they are now light enough to carry with ease, so i removed the wheels and the hardware that the wheels were attached to. This took another couple lbs off the weight of the cabs, awesome. Now i am left with 4 holes in the bottom of each cab where the caster hardware used to be. The holes are a little wider than my thumb. The inside of the cab is lined with spongy kinda material, which u can see if u look in the holes. Could these holes cause any noticeable performance issues, since the cab is no longer sealed the way it was originally designed to be? For now i have put some gorilla tape over the holes to at least keep mice or other critters from nesting in there. Im really not worried about a tiny bit of volume loss or whatever other issues may arise, as long as they are very minor/barely noticeable. I dont care about how it looks, its the bottom of the cabs so nobody will see it anyway. The tape is holding fine, and i dont mind just leaving it as is. But if the holes will cause major issues with performance of the cabs, i could cut some plywood circles to fit in the holes essentially re-sealing the cabs. Thoughts?

2. squish

squish Nothing TOO fancy Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2005
    Atl
    Generally speaking, air leaks are not a good thing. Could you fit wine corks in the holes?

3. Aloe

Aloe

Apr 10, 2016
    Ukraine
    if the holes pass some air, those can act as untuned micro-ports, so yeah, your cab is not sealed anymore.

I'd just put back screws in the holes, rubber feet on some, just screws in the rest. hopefully, those screws don't weight that much that it will make the cab heavier again.

Iristone likes this.
  4. Bobbylon

Dec 17, 2012
    Charleston, SC
    Possibly, i’ll try

5. Bobbylon

Dec 17, 2012
    Charleston, SC
    Yeah im not worried about the tiny screw holes. I dont really want to put the caster hardware back on though because they are pretty heavy. Wine corks might be the easiest fix they arent too small.

6. Bobbylon

Dec 17, 2012
    Charleston, SC
    I dont think any of the tiny screw holes went all the way through the wood into the cab chamber anyway. I think the only holes that actually cause a sealing issue are the 4 bigger holes

7. Bobbylon

Dec 17, 2012
    Charleston, SC
    Also, the cabs sound great. No obvious issues. Just curious if they would sound even better with the holes sealed. I should prob just seal one of the cabs, and A/B it with the other one

Mk90 and kumimajava like this.
  8. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    It hasn't got the drivers it was designed for either, but, yes, holes in a cab are not good.

9. Bobbylon

Dec 17, 2012
    Charleston, SC
    I did my research and specifically picked drivers that work well with the dimensions of those cabs. The new speakers sound much better than the originals, and have far more power handling

ctmullins, Chickenwheels and chris_b like this.
  10. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    Correct, and the additional holes are just an additional problem that was created.

Rip Van Dan and Peter Torning like this.
  11. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    Ported cabinets? How does the tuning work out.

You may think you have far more power handling than you did, but in fact you may not have because the "published numbers" are a thermal number yet the limiting factor in bass cabinets are the mechanical numbers which are not a single number but a series of numbers that decrease as frequency decreases.

12. Bobbylon

Dec 17, 2012
    Charleston, SC
    Im aware that holes are not “good”. Im specifically wondering if the holes have obvious detrimental effects. If the effects are barely noticeable, im not gonna worry about it. Just thought maybe somebody in here had some
    Yes front porter cabs. I talked to reps at eminence and ampeg before buying drivers, and was assured that these are a good choice. They sound better than the original drivers.

13. Bobbylon

Dec 17, 2012
    Charleston, SC
    I’ll prob seal seal of them in the next few days and and A/B them. Was just curious if anybody had any specific experience with this and could tell me if i can take the easy route and not worry about it, or if i really should put in the time because it will be a very noticeable improvement…

14. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Yes, they can cause a shift in the tuning frequency of the box, as well as making undesirable noises such as whistling and chuffing.

Rip Van Dan, Murch and retslock like this.
  15. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    Holes can, at certain frequencies, act like poorly designed ports - you get chuffing noises that can sound like really ugly distortion. You may not hear it until you get to that one gig where you need to crank things more than usual.

If you’re smart, you’ll figure out some way to plug those holes. I can’t imagine it’d be that tough to figure something out.

mcnach and agedhorse like this.
  16. jeff62

jeff62 Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Central FL
    You may not hear a difference. But sealing the holes helps protect the speaker based upon its design, presumably, for a sealed cab of that size.

Trucker Bumptip likes this.
  17. Bobbylon

Dec 17, 2012
    Charleston, SC
    Yeah i was just trying to be lazy lol. I’ll figure something out. Prob wine corks

legalbass likes this.
  18. C Stone

C Stone

Sep 4, 2020
    USA
    Why not just add a few mending plates?

Attached Files:

19. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    A little construction adhesive so the corks don't rattle loose, and you're probably good.

Trucker Bumptip and CryingBass like this.
  20. Maybe find a wooden dowel the same size as the holes, cut to size and glue them in with Titebond?