Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Holes in my bass! and uhhh sex too

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Scrawneybassist, Jul 17, 2001.

1. well, now that i got you to come here by using sex i will ask you my question :D I just took off my pickguard and I am gonna keep it off, I need to know what to use to fill in the screw holes. Thanks

2. you didnt tell us if your refinishing the body or not. if you are, then i suggest some high quality wood filler and use a very fine sanpaper to smooth (1000 grit)

3. no i am not refinishing the body i just took the pickguard when i was changing strings to see what was underneath and i liked the look.

4. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA

Here's an idea--screws?

5. nah i want the whole body to look "natural" so i don't want any unnatural screws in the middle of it :D

6. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    In that case, I'd just leave the holes empty. "Jaco didn't need to put anything in his screw holes!"

:D

7. lol yeah, actually i am now thinking of drilling more holes into my bass, it will be the new style :p

8. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hee hee! good one. :D

9. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    "Gruyere cheese body style"

tasty! :)

10. how about some nice swiss i dont really care for gruier (sp) or a big hunk of parmiseano regiono

11. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    fill 'em in with hemp. If you were going to give in a refinish, you could just super glue a bunch of pennies or quarters, or pesos or francs or some other coins on to it.

12. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Take it to a furniture repair shop. They have laquer sticks that they can "burn" into the screw holes and make an almost invisible repair. The sticks come in a range of colors that will match most natural finishes.

A bonus is that furniture repair shops are usually less expensive than guitar repair shops.

It probably will cost around ten bucks.

Pkr2

13. Lord Bishop

Lord Bishop Guest

Jul 16, 2001
    Brooklyn N.Y.
    Well, If you’re serious about filling the holes in your bass, this is the best technique to use, it retains more resonance than filling the holes with putty or some other synthetic filler. First, fill the holes about ½ way up with wood glue and pack the holes with toothpicks until you can’t squeeze one more toothpick in. Lay the bass on it’s back and the glue and toothpicks cure for 24 -48 hrs. Once it’s cured cut the protruding toothpicks off as close to the body as possible. With 100 grit sandpaper sand down the filled areas until they’re recessed approximately 1/6 - 1/8 of an inch. Wipe the body down with a damp cloth and let it dry. Fill the recessed areas in with wood putty. When it’s dry, use 250 - 300 grit paper and fine sand the putty. If you’re good with a paint brush, you can duplicate the wood grain pattern with wood stain.

Good Luck,
    Mike