1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

holes/screws in fender jazz bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by muncie, May 2, 2006.

1. hi everybody,
    does any body know on older fender jazz basses what the 4 offset holes between the bridge p/u and bridge are for, or from? i've noticed them on jaco's and john paul jones'....were they from removed string dampers or something?
    always wondered.
    thanks.
    muncie

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    maybe you can show a pic of what you mean?

3. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    Yes, those are for string mutes. There were individual mutes for each string, similar to the early Stingrays and Sterlings.
    Reissues come up on ebay regularly. My '62 - the holes furthest out are for the cover:
    [​IMG]

4. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    The old jazz basses has string mutes, to make the bass sound more like a upright. Those four holes are were they got mounted.

5. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    Im not 100% sure.... but i think they are there because other bridge was installed there which needed those holes.... then the original bridge was installed.

6. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution, Ampeg distribution
    bridge mute? Well, yes and no. It was a bridge cover. The bridge cover did have mutes in it.

7. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution, Ampeg distribution
    sorry, I was wrong. I re-read your post about the screw holes between the pup and bridge...not to the side.

So yes, string mutes. I can't remember now which bass had them under the bridge cover.....I'll have to look.

8. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
  9. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
  10. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    It was a Jazz bass. I forget what year they changed, but they started to glue the mutes to the inside of the bridge cover. Cheaper to produce then the individual string mutes.