Holes thru bridge vs holes thru body

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lildrgn, Aug 22, 2000.

1. lildrgn

Jul 11, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    On my Fender Jazz I run the strings through the body holes. What kind of difference will there be if I run them through the bridge holes?

I'm too lazy to restring my bass right now.
  2. IMO you will lose some of the acoustic coupling and change the tension of the strings over the saddles. Each condition has it's own problems. I rather like the tone from string through bodies and that's why they make'em that way. The other problem of less tension across the saddles also decouples the string from the body and can make for problems if the saddle is too shallow to properly keep the string aligned. The saddles used for string through designs IMO have less of a notch, using the increased tension to hold the string in place laterally.

I'll make a prediction that this topic will top 50 posts!
  3. gmstudio99

Mar 11, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I recently restrung my Deluxe Precision and accidentally cut the E string too short at the top, so to save the string I had to string through the bridge instead of the body...ended up doing the whole set that way and I have noticed a slight difference in tone...it's a bit brighter and more "growly" than when it's strung through the body...I actually kind of like it!